Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hanging basket advice  (Read 5408 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
hanging basket advice
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:58:42 am »
morning all,
just started to order flowers for hanging baskets.
what is everyones favorite plants for baskets?
TFH in advance
Mx

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: hanging basket advice
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:18 am »
I like a nice double begonia in the middle. It sets off the other flowers a treat. Geranimums and petunias are a must too as they are long lasting.  Sometimes I go for baskets with mixed colours and at others have something more uniform.  Both are very nice.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:04:23 am »
the small surfina million bells in single coloured baskets can be stunning.

but my personal favourite in mixed baskets are the large flowered trailing fuschias...

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:04 am »
I like a good mixture in my baskets normally and use a geranium or fushia for the centre piece. Surfinia is always good for colour as mention but you can get others to mix in maybe just some green leave plants that trail to enhance the colours of any flowers. I do some basket solely with fushias as well as they are just amazing to look at and the range of colours and types now is amazing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:18 am »
Tumbling tomatoes  ::) :D :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »
or strawberries and basil

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »
I'm going to sound really weird now but......
Blanketweed from the pond ;D ;D
No i don't try and grow it in the baskets but flip a basket upside down and lay layers of blanket weed straight out of the pond on it, let it dry for a week and you have the worlds best liner for your baskets ;D
I only plant hanging baskets for the fun of playing with slimy weed ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mel

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »
 :wave:

Like Manian,I love Begonias-the trailing variety with a large double in the top,aroud the back I had surfina in some along with Dwarf Convolvulus-Royal Ensign. ;D

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:44 am »
Whilst i was on holdiay in germany last year i picked up two packets of hanging basket mixed seeds .. enough to do six baskets.

I managed to buy six hanging basket set up's as end of line pre christmas clearances from Tesco  . I have a coir type lining which appear to feel rubberized ..as it's sort of sticky to touch .

I've never  done hanging baskets  before .. do any of you line the actual basket on the metal frame with a liner before putting in the basket of coir etc.

I have several mtrs of scrap buytl ponf d liner that i can shape up like big flower petals to do the lining it it's  a sound thing to do .

All comments welcome on this one.

To add to the prepacked mixes I'm going to insert sweet peas , runner bean , french marigolds and nastrutiums as well as some continental trailing geraniums.

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:51:46 am »

I've never  done hanging baskets  before .. do any of you line the actual basket on the metal frame with a liner before putting in the basket of coir etc.

you just put the coir in the metal frame. that way the water soaks through and then not overfill with water.
i cut crosses in the matting and put flowers etc to cover it up

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:11:54 am »
Fuschias or zonal pelargoniums(geraniums) in the middle, lots of bizzie lizzies, then trailing lobelia around the edges.All of them come in a variety of colours so you won't be stuck for a colour scheme. Bizzie lizzies tolerate shade well. The only problem that I have found with petunias is that they have to be continually deadheaded in order to keep them flowering. I just haven't get the time to do that!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:36 pm »
Used to love my hanging baskets in Perthshire but here they just don't work - but loved double begonia and can be used again and again - used to do colour match one and a mix - should be worth a picture show later in the year
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS