Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 101 uses for a wheelie bin  (Read 18424 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: 101 uses for a wheelie bin
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 11:58:50 pm »
We use a wheelie bin liner to avid the problem of cleaning although there is a man who comes round and cleans them for a fee.

Annie, I agree they are better than black bag lying around.  It's the number of bins for various things that annoy me.  Both my daughters (one in Liverpool and the other in Poole in Dorset) have one wheelie bin for rubbish, one for recycling and a garden waste bin.  We have one wheelie bin for rubbish, one for garden waste. then one box for paper another box for tins and glass, a blue bag for cardboard (and if it doesn't fit in they won't take it) and an orange net bag for plastics.  Then there's the small plastic bags for batteries and light bulbs.  The council are also talking about introducing bins for food waste.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:13 am »
In our small (very) rural village we have a communal recycling cage for the recycling bags and a communal large bin which are emptied every week.
We bought 2 wheelie bins on ebay for the workshop; to take, and keep dry, all the odds-and-sods pieces of leftover  wood/pallets that end up on the floor after Moh's 'projects'! When full up, we wheel them round the back to the cellar entrance and use the contents for kindling to light the woodburner that feeds the central heating.
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:36 am »
If you drill a few holes in the bottom to let water out ,and a drill a half inch hole in the front about 3 inches from the bottom then connect a wallpaper stripper, this makes a great hay steamer if you have a horse with dust allergy.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:23 pm »
If you drill a few holes in the bottom to let water out ,and a drill a half inch hole in the front about 3 inches from the bottom then connect a wallpaper stripper, this makes a great hay steamer if you have a horse with dust allergy.

I can confirm that
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 07:26:59 am »
I can see an upsurge in the "liberation" of wheelie-bins coming ;) ;D ;D

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
before our paper one was liberated from our road end,  it was used during the winter (when all paper rubbis was burned on the fire) it was used as a rat catcher -
small pile of grain/peanut butter in the bottom of it
lid left open and positioned next to the log pile,
if you were lucky the next morning there would be rats in the bottom of it unable to get out due to the steep sides

method of dispatch was up to the finder, usually shooting in the head with an air rifle goo shots didn't damage the bin, or drowning - not the most humane way i agree but...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:52 pm »
We bought another brown bin from the Council. £40 it was, one-off charge, bin remains our property and it is emptied for free. We fill it with chicken poo -its getting a bit stinky and will be quite bad in Summer. I suppose at that stage they will refuse to empty it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS