Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pink Eye  (Read 5741 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Pink Eye
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:54:44 pm »
We have pink eye sweeping the area......very unusual at this time of the year but with the mild weather  :-\ must be carried by something other than sheep as I have one field where the rams are that has no sheep nearby yet they have got it too.......but not from contact with us  :-\
We have occaisionally had this before in the odd sheep or 2 but this time we have been fighting it for weeks! Several neighbours sheep have it too and we are all getting quite fed up with it. I have a ram and my wether who are totally visually challenged and really fed up and so now in small enclosure to stop them hitting things! Its getting better but...

Anyone any ideas? They are being treated with opticlox eye ointment and several have had a couple of shots of pen/strep!

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Pink Eye
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:24:48 pm »
My sheep have had pink eye nasty and sore looking. It can sometimes take some animals a wee while to recover. The virus can be transmitted by fly and dust but mostly by close contact some sheep can be carriers and show no signs usually new sheep bring it in.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:27:36 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:44:01 pm »
Isn't Terramycin a better injection than Penicillin for eyes?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »
Well I had a bottle of pen/strep sitting on my shelf so used it up...off to vet for some terramycin tomorrow!.....interesting re flies....there are midges and flies everywhere due to the warmish weather  ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:46:45 pm »
Oh good luck!
When I had my first sheep pink eye arrived and It was a bloody nightmare!
I think everyone got it, we tried separating, not separating everything. We used opticlox and amoxicillin which did ease symptoms but it went through the whole flock ::)
Then as quick as it arrived, it was gone ???
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:31:06 pm »
Thanks.....Its doing the rounds here....keep a look out ur not that far from me!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »
I used Orbenin  ointment in the one and only case I ever had, during the summer it was.  I cant remember if I also used an antibiotic, not have my medicine records book to hand now. The ewes eye still looks a bit cloudy, but she can see me (and the food bucket) about 50 yards off, so I think she is not (that) blind anymore....

I certainly have seen midges around recently, and we are much further up north than you are!

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:02:09 pm »
Quickest and easiest treatment for pink eye is a spray of alamycin spray (blue coloured spray that you get from the vet). I know what the instructions say! but it works really well and very quickly. Don't be too heavy handed with it (the solvent could damage the eye), just a 2 second burst into the eye and surrounding area and it clears up really well. Also quite cheap and easy to administer. they can sometimes get similar infectiond from eating long forage, especially silage and haylage. seems to scratch their eyes.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »
Thanks Dougal.....I was wondering about that.....just the worst one left now and he had long acting ABs yesterday.....but will consider that if still not looking good
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS