Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shell-less eggs again  (Read 4299 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
shell-less eggs again
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:56:34 am »
I have found a duck's and first time ever a hen's shell-less egg. Does anyone know any other reason than what the birds eat? Age of bird? Beginning/end of season? :chook: :&>

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: shell-less eggs again
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »
I have noticed loads of reasons it could be from the simplest thing as turning the coup around to them having a scare.
I give a good portion of poultry spice at this time of year to the food and a sprinkle of garlic powder for good measure, I make sure that the grit and oyster shell are kept stocked up in the run and wait for the warmer weather and it to settle down a bit. My girls are all young and had a couple of softies but have also found a hen attacking others eggs.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »
Hi Guys, I have had a couple of shell less ones over the last few days also may be that time of year or the mildness of the weather might do it to, they are such sensitive things chickens, my girls are still laying well though.
Ellisr I fear you may to get rid of your egg pecking hen come the summer and she still doing it you will have no eggs left she will become obsest  with pecking all the eggs and the other hens can copy.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »
I have a better solution than killing a good hen it is called roll away boxes, which I have and used with good success in the past. I think it is jealousy as I am pretty sure she hasn't started laying yet.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »
I have some of those in my shed what a good idea perhaps that would work with Magpies as well I suffered terribly in the summer lost a good amount of eggs to the little B******s.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:32 pm »
of course it does just make sure the place they roll away to is covered and secured with a little lock as magpies are very clever at opening things

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »
Thanks for that will defo try that. :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 02:36:57 pm »
I caught 3 girls also yesterday nibbling an egg, which was possibly cracked as it was outside the house. The eggs in the nesting boxes were ok but I'll keep an eye. One before started when she was broody, eating most of her eggs  but the one that had hatched. I thought it was rats until I watched her do it! One mustard filled egg did the trick that time, so I'll try that again when need be. :chook: :&>

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 03:25:32 pm »
Interesting stuff - Ive been having the odd shell less (well soft/thin shelled in my case) and had been told that this was what happened when a hen was coming to the end of their laying life - And I have one lovely old hen, so that made sense to me.  she seems to have stopped laying now, but I wonder if she will come into lay again in the spring? 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »
someone before mentioned this - hen's menopause  ;D ;D ;D last year I only had ducks laying these and 2 of the elderlies died that year. Maybe there's something to it. :&>

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »
FiB, somebody told me that you get the shell less eggs when they first start to lay, confused.com :-\

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:37 pm »
never had one from new layers, Barrett. Only tiny but fully formed eggs with shells.  :&>

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »
Pot eggs have stopped all our egg eaters so far. They bash their little beaks on it until they have a headache and give up.

Unshelled eggs (no shell at all) are those laid early, before the process of overlaying any of the shell. Caused by stress or sometimes immaturity as opposed to a Calcium deficiency. Ours drop shelless eggs when a fox makes a nightime visit. Can also happen with helicopters visiting JCB (stopped the low flying now after the crash) or bullying sometimes in the morning on the perch. Or fireworks. Nothing to worry about when occurring on an occasional basis.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS