Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to plant Broad beans out in the wilds  (Read 6544 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
When to plant Broad beans out in the wilds
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:30:24 am »
when do other member put your broad beans on in final situ ?

i can't remember when i put mine out but do remember they where a wee bit late, I was gona put them out possible next week but noticed frost forcast on weather report

any ideas?

Helen

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: When to plant Broad beans out in the wilds
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:17:01 pm »
I usually start mine off under cover and plant out about now.  I'll be putting mine outside next week too but will cover them with a plastic cloche just until they get established.  I find they are hardy once they have aclimatised.

sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »
plant um NOW!!!! (don't take ntice of me) Now Now Now...te he ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:57:35 pm »
you and Steve have been on the vino again! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:32:17 am »
We had but not until after the message I wrote as we took the dogs out late in the car, it was very dark :o just felt a bit mischievous ;D ;D ;D

daviddb

• Joined Feb 2009
  • pyrenees orietales
    • flickr pictures
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:42:55 am »
We planted  seed out at the tail end of October and now have plants about a foot high in flower for harvesting from May onwards. Unless that is assorted deer and wild pig have other ideas    :-\

Variety was Aquadulce Claudia which is an RHS awarded seed from Suttons. The blurb on the packet speaks of 'excellent hardiness but protect against severe winter weather'  We had plenty of snow but no really prolonged freeze-up so didna bother with that.

We're at 3000 feet but quite a ways south.....

salūt

david

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:29:10 am »
My broadbeans all failed last year for some reason, I planted them in little pots in the greenhouse and they never germinated.

I bought some more seeds yesterday and I am going to plant them straight out into the raised bed this weekend, but will cover until they start coming through and it warms up a wee bit

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:03:29 pm »
We started ours in guttering in teh greenhouse about 5 weeks ago and planted them out last week. So far they look fine. I've a second lot starting in the greenhouse of a different variety. Problem is, Dan doesn't like broad beans so I need to find a way of getting him to eat them!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 05:44:55 pm »
Soup?  That's what my sister used to do with my nephews who wouldn't touch anything green!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »
Planting my seeds straight into the outside bed this week. A week later than last year which was a decent crop.
JD

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:09:47 pm »
I planted some in November outside - then some in toilet rolls (!) indoors in Jan uary - they went out in March (hardened them off gradually) and I've just put some more seed in. B Beans are indestructable aren't they?
Liz

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 10:13:38 am »
mine are still doing okay if not a little wind battered , I have put some 'pea sticks' that i cut from the garden on them so they are batting a bit better from the wind

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 01:45:44 pm »
I planted another row at the weekend too (Crimon Flowered).  I might give them a bit of protection but I've found broadies quite hardy in general.  As they are planted a couple of inches deep, a surface frost doesn't seem to affect them much, unless it happens when the tender seedlings are just breaking the surface (in which case have the fleece ready).

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 02:29:32 pm »
Not much frost now but it's the wind that get them here. as the wind is currently running the fence line lol

Linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS