Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted, ducks.  (Read 11076 times)

sandy

Wanted, ducks.
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:11:24 am »
I would like two ducks  :&> :&>from the local area, I am in central Scotland and can give the ducks a good home, will pay a reasonable price as my Chickens were very expensive but I love having them..... :chook:

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
Re: Wanted, ducks.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:52:18 am »
Hi Sandy,

The Poultry sale is on at the Caledonian Market in Stirling Tomorrow at 1030.  I see from their Catalogue they have some ducks up for auction.  Maybe see you there?

Gillian

sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:21:11 am »
THanks, I am expecting a guest to arrive tomorrow but not till after 12.00pm. Where is the market, I have been to the carboot, that looks like an auction place. I used to go to a farmers market in Melton Mowbray and was facinated at all the auctions, not sure if I am brave enough :-[

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:47:38 am »
Caledonian Marts (Stirling) Ltd., Millhall Auction Mart, Stirling, FK7 7LS - Tel: 01786 450922 - Fax: 01786 473332

it's off kerse road in stirling near where all the car sale garages are (same road as the college)
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=FK7+7LS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&ei=X3TDSdrYM-KtjAf2-NmRCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:49:42 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:53:13 am »
Thanks, if Steve is around I can pop out and take a look, not sure how brave I am to bid!!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:03:20 am »
You can get them on Preloved - price is usually £5 each I think, so you could bid up to that price. And don't worry the auctioneers are well used to newbies!  If I was free I'd come with you.  Maybe next time
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05:35 am »
Sandy, I can hatch some in the incubator for you, if interested. I have 12 duck eggs in just now, due to hatch on Wednesday of next week (which are all spoken for). I keep Aylesbury, Kakhi Campbell and Buff Orpingtons and can be hatched for the end of next month if you are willing to wait that long?

James

sandy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:27:35 am »
Yes I can waite, I can waite, that would be great, how much would you want for 2? Not sure how far away you are until I get time to have a look but it will be nice to have them as the Sp :)ring starts so they can be prepared for the wet, cold, winter unless of course we have a wet, cold summer as well?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 11:34:31 am »
I'll come with you to pick them up - want to meet James anyway and see this lovely hotel and all those goats.  I love goats, ickle ones.  I got a bit of a fright when Beth's big lad growled at me as I was stroking him.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:42:13 am »
Sandy thats not a problem. I love hatching the ducks in the incubator but can' t keep them all or I'd be over run by ducks :&>. Therefore, hatching for someone else is great - I get the best of both worlds that way. I am about 50 minutes away from Clackmannan, that's where I am originally from. Is it just 2 you want or would you like a few more? I don't want anything for them as I said I enjoy the whole process.

James

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:01:44 pm »
Hi James
Sandy originally wanted a drake and a duck but I said (in my usual logical fashion) what was the point of having a drake - they don't lay eggs ???.  I love my drake Jack, but was given him - I wouldn't part with him now, but wouldn't have got one unless I wanted to breed more, which I don't.  Would anyone else agree?  He isn't the lead duck - my light coloured KC is.  Jemima's the boss. ;) :&> :&> :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 12:14:01 pm »
Many years ago I started off with just 2 drakes and they were tremendous pets. However, during thr breeding season they became very aggressive to us and the dogs and would grab our legs and give us a nasty bite/peck. It was funny but got annoying after a while. I was always told that to every drake you should have a minimum of 2 girls so keeping 1 of each may not be a good idea. Both these first boys were so very tame, one of them only died last year and he was 12 years old.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 12:28:47 pm »
TWELVE good lord.  Is that old for a duck, please say yes, I'm up to 29 and one of the girls has disappeared into the jungle which is the second Island, I fear she is sitting on even more.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »
The vet tells us that 12 was very old, both these boys had an incredible life. The 12 yr old one actually got just like an old man. The 17 I have now don't like to come too close even the ones I reared myself - litlle buggers!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 12:35:56 pm »
Love them as I do, the number we have now does mean a lot of cleaning up and mucking out, even though they are totally free range.  Not sure I could manage this lot when I'm 70

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS