Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think my boys understand me!  (Read 2128 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
I think my boys understand me!
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:29:44 pm »
I had the loveliest experience tonight, when I put the boys to bed. They had been out of their run for the afternoon, but as usual were waiting for me on the front step, to take them to bed and tuck them in.
I got their "biscuits" which are actually in the back of my car, and they followed me to the barn to get their hay. They were waiting outside the barn for me, when I just said to them "Home you go boys, off to bed". At that, they trotted off, straight into their run and into their house. When I came out of the barn, I just couldnt believe my eyes. There they were waiting for me by their food bowl.
Little poppets!!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: I think my boys understand me!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »
We have a routine of, replay all water buckets, top up all hays then everyone into their pens - first shout the 'girlies' and they come in (they know their pen) hard feed for them and then the boys follow me to their new shed - they are almost used to it now just over a week - saying that they are quite smart and should really now where they live!! I do the same system with my call ducks, group by group they go into the secure pen where all their boxes are and they know their own box which makes me smile.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: I think my boys understand me!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:15 pm »
I do the same system with my call ducks, group by group they go into the secure pen where all their boxes are and they know their own box which makes me smile.
I used to keep my call ducks outside in large weldmesh cages, with their boxes in the back to sleep in. In bad weather (Ice+snow) I started putting them all together in a penned off area of a shed, there was no arguing between 'families' they seemed to know it had to be. after 2 days they would be waiting at the shed door at nights.
The weather eased off, that evening they were sat outside their cages again, like they knew the indoors was just for bad weather, clever liitle things  :).
This happened a few times over various winters, so it wasn't co-incindence.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS