Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is a diet of just grass OK?  (Read 2870 times)

derbyshirenovices

• Joined Jan 2009
is a diet of just grass OK?
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
Our two Ryelands roam around our 1.5 acre field and graze quite happily. We've had them now for nearly 4 months and they seem fit and well. They've got a Rockies yellow mineral lick that seems to be slowly shrinking. They've just had a copper capsule each. Apart from these supplements will they be healthy enough with just the rough pasture? When we do bring the odd bit of bramble/tree/shrub through the field on the way to the bonfire they try to get at it. Is this just looking for a bit of variety in a grass-only diet or are they desperate for some missing nutrient?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: is a diet of just grass OK?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:24:36 pm »
2 sheep in 1.5 acres is fine if they are just pets.....I am assuming you have given them a good poke under all that wool to make sure they are not skinny?

If they are breeding sheep....or will be, a different regieme will be necessary....have you got any books etc on keeping sheep? Have you been on a sheep keeping course or spent time with a shepherd? I can reccommend you find out a little more and then you can decide!

There are several ryeland breeders on this forum who I imagine will be happy to help advise but general sheep husbandry knowledge is needed.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: is a diet of just grass OK?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »
Have a look at your field. I can almost gaurantee there will be more than just grass available. there will be dandelions and clovers as well as other plants each will have different nutrients available. If it is a new pasture and there are no deep rooting plants then some mineral supplement would be advisable. Also a minerals test of your field would highlight any possible problems. Your local agricultural agent/store would have details of a tester
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS