Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cold smoked bacon  (Read 5486 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
cold smoked bacon
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:05:37 pm »
i have a bradley smoker....... anyone know how to cold smoke bacon and sausages...

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: cold smoked bacon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »
I bought the cold smoker attachment for mine, but if you haven't got one of those you can rig one up from a cardboard box and tubing apparently.  The details are on the bradley smoker website.

I put sausages and bacon (before slicing)  in the smoker and then set the briquettes thingy (my very technical term!! lol)  going and 5 hours later it's done.

I then vacuum pack the  sausages, bacon or ham...cheese is good too,  for a couple of days before slicing or packing.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:14:05 pm »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:36:18 pm »
that would be sooooo much better if the smoke went into an old wine barrel ;)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:57:56 pm »
Cold smoking is really easy with one of these: http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/ColdSmoking.html, we haven't done any hot smoking since we've bought one of these cold smoking 'thingies'. We use it inside one of these smokers / BBQs: http://www.masterbuilt.com/kingsford/king_smokers.htm which we bought a few years ago from or via Amazon.

In the morning, you put the bacon inside the Kingsford and light the Mac's BBQ cold smoking thingy. In the evening, you come home and hey presto!  :yum: Works even when it's freezing outside. We use applewood dust.

Hot smoking is much more hassle, but it does give you that nice brown colour on the bacon  :yum:

:wave:

Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:01:43 am »
 Morning :wave:

I have seen this on the fleabay-can anybody advise,do you think this would be ok to cold smoke my bacon loins and such? 250952318346 or 180778220452
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:13:51 am by leghorn »

Mel

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:06 pm »
Sorry to seem silly,but if I smoke the meat,is this done after curing or done instead..sorry if it seems a silly question!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »
Not silly at all as smoking is a form of curing so it can be a bit confusing  ;)

Salt-cure first, smoke after.

Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:07:21 pm »
Thank you Eve! xx

Mel

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »
I have purchased one of those ProQ cold smoking devices to try   ??? -it was cheap and cheerful and I cannot warrant paying out for one of those super duper generators like Dan and others have! ;) Well,not at the moment.

Please tell me,I was going to use a friends old tall larder fridge-broken and does not work,So I thought about putting the ProQ in the bottom,like Dan's video,the fridge would obviously hold the meat but do I need a chimney or other light ventilation?-I am asking this before I have Chris cutting chimney holes in it! :D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:26:16 pm »
I have a ventilation thingy (another technical term from me!!)  on the top of mine.  Depending on the temperature outside and weather conditions I either open it partially or fully open......but always open a little though.

Hope this makes sense  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 07:27:31 am »
Harry,
I also have a bradley smoker. For hot smoke attatch the 2 foot long cable to the smoker and the box, turn up the slider on the front of the smoker, it is just below the door. For cold smoke do not attatch the 2 foot long cable and turn the slider down, I always do cold smoke therfore my slider is always off, but please remember that there will always be heat where there is smoke. The air vent on the top of the smoker allows for the smokey taste, vent only open a wee bit you will have heavily smoked items, vent half open there will be a lighter smokey taste.
HTH
Lillian

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »
i am going to practice on a bit of supermarket pork.... what 2 cheap cuts should i buy for ham and bacon. i suppose i then need a bacon cutter

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:15 pm »
For bacon you'll need a piece of loin (for back bacon) or belly (for streaky) if it's a ham you want you'll need to go for a leg joint - but a rolled gigot should do just as well. I'm not sure how readily available they'll be in a supermarket though  :-\  Might need a 'proper' butchers shop.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS