Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help required to name the kids  (Read 14411 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Help required to name the kids
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 11:17:46 pm »
Glad to see they're settling in well! I see they're full of beans as well.

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 04:44:24 pm »
Well Fred and Gizmo have now been here for 2 weeks and boy have they grown. For the first while Rosie and Toggi (the older goats) noses were out of joint but now, with each day, the 4 of them get closer and are now acting like a family unit. Rosie who is 12 and has never been milked is now so maternal that her teats seem to be getting bigger. The babies are now enjoying their freedom so much  that trying to lock them up at night is getting harder as they keep running away. When you go out to spend some time with them they are desperate to sit on your knee which soon will be impossible with the rate at which they are growing. They really are a comical pair, still being bottle fed but starting to copy Rosie and Toggi and climb up the branches of trees etc. :goat:

sandy

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:06 pm »
What a nice life you have, the reward of all your animals, we also run a B&B and my partner Steve would love to be here all the time but HAS to go out to work booh hue!!!! :'(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 11:17:46 pm »
I have, before we bought this place I worked for a big hotel company. I worked mental hours and earned a fortune but it was rewardless. We bought here and instantly started buying the animals and I would not be without any of them. I work 7 days a week, from early morning till when the bar closes at night and I wouldn't swap it! We spoil our pets and just now there are over 40 mouths to feed. What a great way to live. :goat: :horse: :dog: :&>

sandy

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 11:29:26 pm »
Much much better than the rat race!!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 02:59:50 pm »
The boys are now 7 weeks old, this afternoon they had just finished their bottle and decided to have fun with Kenny. No one can say they are spoilt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziigdWU1UKk

sandy

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 04:54:32 pm »
Very loving goats, not too good for a posh hair doo!!! Just looked at the talking goat on You Tube, it made me laugh ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 05:39:07 pm »
laughed at the fainting goats

Linz

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 09:28:16 pm »
Today was the first day the boys got 2 bottles instead of 3. Every time we went out this afternoon they came galloping to us hoping it was bottle time! I gave them some goat food instead and they did pick away at it but they are eating grass, bark, leaves and weeds etc. I did feel sorry for them but lo and behold when they got their bottle an hour ago Gizmo downed his but Fred left some. Freddy is always first finished and never leaves any so that was good to see. Away now to put them away for thr night. :goat:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 09:33:32 pm »
I can't wait to see these little lads since I was practically in at the birth.  But having seen  BIG Fred I don't think I could have a normal sized goat.  I like the idea of having a pygmy but I do like my shrubs and I rather think they would too!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 08:52:44 am »
An update on the boys. Well they are now 13 weeks old and are full of the devil. They are now receiving no bottle feeds - I had cut them back but the boys seemed to tell me when they didn't need it. Normally they knew what time they got the bottle and they were at the gate eagerly awaiting me but then that just stopped.

Freddy is the one that is 3 days older than Gizmo and he was always the bold and fearless one and the best feeder of the two. Changed roles now, Gizmo is much more daring and tries to eat different things you offer them and Freddy won't try fruit or some of the other stuff we offer. They do love oatcakes. Every time you see them you get such a welcome and if they are miles away in  the back field and they hear you shout on them they come running as fast as they can with a huge "grin" on their faces. The bond they have developed between Rosie and Toggi is magical, the 4 of them have a brilliant life here and they seem to enjoy every new adventure they get up to - good or bad!

They still get locked in at night as they are so mischievous they would probably end up with their head stuck in a fence all night. I get such an excited welcome when they see me in the morning, they jump all over me just like a dog. They have their daft carry on, enjoy cuddles before they go and find Rosie and Toggi and then the 4 of them come and get fed. As soon as they know I am going in the duck enclosure they abandon breakfast and charge to get in the gate as there is a tree in there they like to eat and they know they probably cause havoc with the ducks. Who asked the question are goats worth having? There is never a dull moment with them.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 09:07:45 am »
   The two chickens that I can tell apart from the others are called
                                                   "Gert & Daisy"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS