Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Helping the hatch  (Read 6088 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Helping the hatch
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »
I know that this is probably controversial.

When incubating, I prefer not to help the eggs to hatch. Today one of mine had pipped over 24 hours ago, so I decided to peel it. The white had solidified and glued it's foot to it's head. It was an active and chirpy egg, but I'm sure couldn't have hatched without my help.There are two more who pipped this morning, I'm now thinking perhaps I should help them too. I had vowed not to help - survival of the fittest and all that. Any thoughts, peeps?

:)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Helping the hatch
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02:10 pm »
oooh, tough one,
we've both helped & not helped ... and lost a few either way.
I feel that if the membrane is drying, then its my fault not the chicks, (ie humidity) so they deserve all the help they can get.
I sometimes just peel a bit, and hope its strong enough to carry on.

Its also a tough call deciding if and when to keep opening the lid of the incubator to check on who's hatching - again, it'll be our fault if the temperature & humidity drops .... but how else can you tell if there's anything hatching?! :-/

sorry, not much help, but thats how I see it! :chook:
Little Blue

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »
Sounds like the humidity is too low in the hatcher -the gauge may be faulty. We help ours out. It could be introducing 'weakness' into the breed, but then again the reason it is having problems could be down to incubation and hatcher setting and operating errors. We had loads of problems with a Suro 20 -the readings shown were only relevant to the top centre of the unit, nothing to do with the fitness of the chicks. I can't just stand by and let them die anyway. And I want as many as possible from a full incubator.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:21:57 pm »
I agree, and I need maximum hatchings from this incubation if I'm to realise my dream of fortune.

I think that helping is probably the best option, but it's difficult to gauge when to help at the last minute, but before they die. I have made the ghastly mistake of helping too early. With success, thankfully, I might add. I've done it with a couple of ducklings who I helped after they had pipped a considerable time before. It was obvious once I'd helped them out that they actually weren't quite ready. All were fine, but it wasn't a great experience for me or for them! Loads of egg white and they were weak for a couple of days. One 'helped' chick had splayed legs, which we sorted out, but I assume was the result of my interference.

So, the remaining two eggs pipped 12 hours ago, chicks alive and cheeping, but no sign of exiting. And you're so right, Little Blue, about opening the incubator too frequently. Chris, the incubator water is kept full, but I suspect that there may be some issue with the water. With the last duckling hatch I put a wet sponge into the incubator for the last 3 days. Very scientific.

It's like the Eastenders of the chicken world around here. Always a drama.

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »
I agree, and I need maximum hatchings from this incubation if I'm to realise my dream of fortune.
One 'helped' chick had splayed legs, which we sorted out, but I assume was the result of my interference.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
Dizzycow, if yours is Esatenders, ours must be the Coro of the hen world - less "what going on?" but plenty of drama!

I've never got the hang of helping with splayed legs - and we've had a plenty with them - any advice?
Little Blue

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:17 pm »
Ooops pressed the wrong button or premature button hitting ::) Anyway what I meant to say was I've had a naturally hatched Turkey with splayed legs and I thought it was more down to not having a non slip surface to stand on. He hatched during the night so we weren't around to lift him out.
Oh and good luck with making your fortune!  :-*

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:49 pm »

me?
Thankyou :thumbsup:
Little Blue

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »
Yeah. Chickens will make us rich. Ha!

With the splayed legs in chicks we tied (as per youtube) wool around each ankle and hobbled them so that their legs are in the right position. Luckily I have three little girls who were prepared to be poultry physiotherapists and spent a few hours helping them to walk. Their legs very quickly strengthen and they go from being totally splayed to being sturdy on their paws within a day or two, which is really satisfying.

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »

me?
Thankyou :thumbsup:

You managed to sneak in before me Littleblue!
I stuck elastoplast round my turks legs.  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »
I tried the elastoplast but it just got sticky - was I doing it wrong?!
the chick didnt make it anyway :(
Little Blue

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 10:03:27 pm »
I didn't have a problem with it, but I did use the plastic type not the material elastoplast and I think the plastic is less sticky.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:02 am »
If I have to help a chick to hatch I sponge it with a bit of warm water on a tissue until the membrane comes away, pulling on it dry often tears the chick. Chicks with splayed legs I euthanise :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 12:40:45 pm »
I both help them hatch and sort out splayed legs.

My reasoning is that an incubator/brooder is an artificial environment that I may well not have exactly right and that they may not be hatching/walking perfectly as a result.

My experience is that those I do help do as well as any others in the long term.

I spray additional water onto ones struggling to hatch, as well as peel off shell to some extent. For splayed legs I use micropore tape which is less sticky than most - sticks to itself well but not so much to the chick. For curly toes I use zinc oxide tape (sticky and rigid) and plastic 'soles' cut from milk cartons or similar.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:42:59 pm by jaykay »

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »
I'm with jaykay on the mircropore tape - much easier to use and no chaffing.
For bent feet or curled toes it's a paperclip splint to support each of the toes and up each side of the leg...........................
Yes, I do occasionally help out if there is a problem during hatching.
If you help and the egg sac is not fully absorbed pop the chick and attached shell into a ziplok bag with it's head sticking out for a few hours and leave it to wriggle about and absorb the sac.
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS