Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first foot  (Read 5857 times)

lill

• Joined May 2011
first foot
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
I have been waiting for my Hampshire Perky to farrow since Xmas day? (did take a photo of her with her two front feet up on the gate for the piggy comp but the kids did not put it on in time) checked due date and it was the 2nd Jan, don't know where i went wrong  ??? Went down at 2.30 am to check on her, she is out of her pen and had scoffed the box of bananas, upturned all the empty feed bins and was  looking quite pleased with herself. Perky started farrowing and was finished by 8am, 14 in total 11 living 5 boys and 6 girls, all lovely healthy piglets, boys will get castrated at 4 days old (Robert is never in sight when this job is getting done ??? ???) Other 2 hampshires is due on 3rd and 6th Jan, oh have i got my hand full or what ;D ;D at least they are true January born piglets for the showing season this year, just hope they grow as good as last year's litter and we have the same success in the ring this year as we did last year 8) 8). A happy new year to all on tas sorry it's a bit late  :wave: :wave:

Will put photos on when the techi whiz kids have free time
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:34:14 am by lill »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: first foot
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »
I'll look forward to seeing the pictures. Although I have reared pigs for a good few years, I only had my first litter (well, my pig did ;D) last month and I found it all very stressful (the sow doesn't give a s##t!!) but ultimately rewarding.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:18:42 pm »
Congraulations :thumbsup:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »
Congratulations  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:49:54 pm »
Well done Perky  ;D

Look forward to seeing you out with some nice Januarys  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:57:17 pm »
Great story, many congratulations lill - and to Perky too.  Looking forward to seeing pics - hopefully including cute feet-up-on-gate one!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:42:56 am »
Glad it went well. I had two gilts farrow, one Jan 1 and one Jan 2. Both daughters of my two Tamworth Champion of Champions (2010/11 and 2011/12). Thankfully, both just got on with it - and very obligingly, each had them mid-morning. Very civilised indeed!

Two nice pedigree litters, each with eight live (one had nine but squashed one), and all doing well, so can't complain.

I've never had litters so early in January before, so hope a couple will be okay for showing this year. Last year I had late Feb litters, so they were tiny compared to everyone else's!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:01:01 am »
Awww, those are so cute, Liz!  :love: :pig: :pig: :pig:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:18 am »
oh, lovely pics. They look so sweet  :thumbsup:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »
That sow is smiling!! :-*

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:15 pm »
ahh she reminds me of old delilah, she used to smile wen she was slepping too. gorgeous fotos.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:29 am »
Great photo's Liz  ;D Congratulations  :thumbsup:

C'mon Lill, where's these photos ?  If you want to email them to me I'll re-size & post them for you. Or are you up to your elbows in castrations & your next litter ?  ;)
Karen x

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:36:06 am »
Hi guys, I am still waiting for my GOS to farrow I think I mucked the dates up she was due New Years Eve according to the dates that I had in mind though she still has no milk, she is in the warm all lamps are set up so she will have them when she has them it is her first litter we are all so excited. :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:59 am »
GOS on average farrow four days late of their due date so watch carefully today chances are she'll have them around 9 - 10pm tonight as that seems to be favourite for my girls!
HTh
mandy  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:53:05 pm »
Mandy, she has been showing me her belly a lot today and in good spirits, yesterday and the day before bad tempered, but still no milk, should she have the milk there a day or two before farrowing that would at least give me an idea to it being immanent.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS