Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blue tongue vaccine, and a lambing question, from a first timer  (Read 11399 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Blue tongue vaccine, and a lambing question, from a first timer
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »
We shared a bottle, too. Our vet said it was fine, so long as all vaccinations were given within 8 hours and the bottle was kept sterile by putting only one needle in.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 10:55:50 am »
Regardless, the sheep and cattle must be vaccinated,
Why then, is the government and the vets, making so difficult to obtain small amounts for small farmers?
Every week we call the vet, and every week they tell us the same thing, that "they" are looking for some other small farmer "who will share"
or another producer
who will produce smaller dose, bottles.

Whoever, thought this one up, is in cloud cuckoo land,
I find it incredulous, that small holders with so few sheep are being charged for bottles, with a hundred doses, in the full knowledge
that once the farmer has dosed his 20 sheep (if, that), that he then must disgard of the vaccine,

It might be a necessary vaccination, but those producers of the vaccine should be brought to boot, simply that farmers large
and small are struggling for their very survival, and can well do without the "greed" of the vaccine producers, for the sake of a few pounds
on the "bottle".

Pigtails

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 05:22:21 pm »
They have also taken the 50ml off the market apparently, well we are finding it hard to get hold of as it was only in limited supply. You can contact your vet for smaller doses.

I know all the local farmers are waiting until the ewes have lambed before vaccinating them as there have been quite a few lambs lost and ewes and calves as well and the bluetongue vaccine has thought to be the cause.

Everyone must have dosed all susceptible animals before the 30th April 2009. Thats a ruling by the Animal health and welfare division, supported by the Scottish government, this relates to Scotland, not sure about England but should imagine the farmers have all had the same 'Dear keeper' letter.

You can also share in Scotland, direct from the dear keeper letter: 'Keepers with a small number of animals can also contact their vet who may be able to split bottles into smaller quantities. We also encourage keepers to share a vaccine bottle where possible, to avoid wasting vaccine and to keep costs down'

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »
Our vet is trying to co-ordinate doses for small flocks.   I believe the vaccine 'shelf life' once open is only 8 hours.  The vet will split a bottle into other bottles which can then be picked up by the flock owners from the surgery.  In practice ..... my friend and I who are both only about 6 miles from the surgery (in different directions) will decide on a date and let the vet know.  Vet will then split into a bottle each and we can both go in and pick up the vaccine and get back to vaccinate within about an hour.   That's the theory anyway !!!

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 07:21:56 pm »
Our vet is trying to co-ordinate doses for small flocks.   I believe the vaccine 'shelf life' once open is only 8 hours.  The vet will split a bottle into other bottles which can then be picked up by the flock owners from the surgery.  In practice ..... my friend and I who are both only about 6 miles from the surgery (in different directions) will decide on a date and let the vet know.  Vet will then split into a bottle each and we can both go in and pick up the vaccine and get back to vaccinate within about an hour.   That's the theory anyway !!!

I hope your theory works,
Your vet, splitting the bottle makes so much more sense, than the farmer (ourselves) looking for someone to share with (a needle in a haystack).

:)
Pigtails

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 08:37:10 pm »
I know it's a big problem the vaccine is only available in 20 or 50 dose bottles, and leave small flock holders little choice. Some of my neighbours shared a bottle last year, but apparently that's not allowed !!

The only reason its not allowed is because its a prescribed medicine your vets like to know who they are prescribing to. A bit like you sharing your medicine with your neighbour.
It may not be allowed but I am sure it happens. Just dont try and sue your vet if there is a problem.
As regards the safety of the vaccine. Its a hell of a lot better than Bluetongue and most of the stories are unsubstantiated. In the vet record a report said that most reports of problems were hearsay and those that werent could not be attributed to the vaccine.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »
We had 20ml bottles - three of us shared it and used it to the last drop!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:19 pm »
your comments are all very interesting. We shared our bottle with the blessing of the vet. We just had to let her know our details CPH number etc.

With regard to the original reason for the post I still stand by my assertion that it was associated with the vaccine. Of course I have no absolute proof. However, can anyone explain any other reason for what happened.

Friday vaccinated ewes.
Sunday one goes down with what appears to be twin lamb. she is really poorly. Cant stand up etc (see orriginal post)
Monday the next is off her food
Tuesday morning two more are definitely off colour, then tuesday evening the last is unwell and reluctant to eat..

They all, over the next few days, recover their original vigour.  And the one who supposedly had 'twin lamb disease' is three weeks down the line and has not succumbed again ( which I understand would happen repeatedly if it had been a systemic pregnancy toxaemia.)

There is no question about future vaccinations .....it may be the timing I would change

A very curious Emma

If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »
Reading that, as I stated previously a lot of farmers are seeing problems after using the vaccine, in sheep and cattle, seems like too much of a coincidence....perhaps it ought to be brought to the attention of animal health or the vaccine makers, whether anything will be done about it, that remains to be seen.

Some are refusing to vaccinate on cows in calf and ewes in lamb, seems there is a problem but it needs to be highlighted otherwise nothing will be done about it..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS