Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rebellious little boys.  (Read 3174 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Rebellious little boys.
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:31 pm »
After them being little poppets at going to bed, for the last few nights Ive had a bit of a problem getting the boys into their house. Ive always managed it...until tonight. They simply refuse to go into their house to bed. Ive tried everything, but Billy in particular is being very defiant. So Ive given up...its 10pm, and Ive had to leave the bottom half of their door open in the hope that they will eventually go to sleep.
Im just grateful that there isnt a frost tonight. I cant think of anything else I could have done. OH is incapacitated, he cant walk to the front door let alone the bottom of the garden, so he couldnt help. I just pray that they will be OK. No sleep for me again tonight.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rebellious little boys.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:14:54 pm »
I have that problem with my hens - I have a security light that goes on when I tiptoe out to shut their door ............... and they all come trooping put again. ::) Dashed infuriating!  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »
Why don't you try and give them their food in their shed? I would tomorrow NOT give them any food during the day and then serve their meal inside and open the door. Once you have done it a few times they will associate their dinner with going inside.

That's the only way I get some of mine to come in...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:04 pm »
Although I always put everyone in at night - originally that was to run our 'not animal friendly' German shepherd in the paddock at night and let her have a bit our 'her time' out and about - she now runs the track and the goats would be safe in their space I still put them in - more because of our inclement Aberdeenshire weather, saying that when someone doesn't want to go in I am quite tempted to leave doors open and let them get on with it - I'm sure your boys will be fine - I just like to know 'preggie' girls are tucked up - your boys will probably in by now!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »
PS - as Anke says I always feed mine in their house - but sometime doesn't stop the persistant 'in season' female - but a good tack for boys
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 01:09:32 pm »
I never shut mine in at night.  They take themselves in quite happily but I have looked out in the early hours and seen one or two outside.  I reckon if it's cold enough, they know where it's warmer.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »
I only ever give them their food at night, for the very reason of getting them in, however I dont think they have been very hungry as there have been pellets left in the bowl in the morning. I finally went out for the last time at 11.30 last night,, to find the boys huddled together on their bed, so I was able to shut the door. Im glad I did as it went below freezing, and I just know I wouldnt have slept soundly had they not been locked up. Its good to know though that it is acceptable to not shut them in. Their house is fully insulated, and their bed is off the ground and their coats are so thick its amazing. Still as a novice, its still worrying when they play up. Im not even going to try and get them in before 9pm tonight, to see how that goes!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »
I'm glad they came in - I wouldn't have slept either  :-*

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 11:26:58 am »
we shut the girls in every night... til Cesar came along!
he will not be shut in - he pancs and batters the door which in turn freaks out the girls.
So we now leave the door open, he goes in if its wet or windy but will be in and out otherwise.  When it snowed, they had a "curtain" over the door, so he could push through it if he needed to.
I think perhaps he's claustraphobic?!

NMary, if they continue to play up, leave the door open at the bottom - they will not freeze in their winter coats!
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »
Mine seem to prefer their door open.  I had to shut it for the brief time a friend had a goat here as my girls wouldn't let her in at night but they are perfectly happy.  I do put coats on them if it's very cold but Flo invariably sleeps right next to the door even when there's deep snow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS