Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No paperwork??  (Read 10725 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
No paperwork??
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »
I've just read an ad. for alpaca wethers which states that no paperwork is needed for them. Is this so?  ???

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: No paperwork??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
I have a llama ....and when I got him, there wa no movement forms to fill in, he has no ear tag or anything, so assume alpacas are under the same ruling.  I did tell DEFRA I had him, because of us being in a TB area, but they did say I was not under any obligation to declare having a camelid.  Seems odd, that they can be moved with no restrictions, but there it is!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:11:36 am »
I wonder why? :-\ Does anyone know?

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:25:00 am »
Suspect it may mean no BAS (British Alpaca Society) paperwork?? Certainly in Scotland you do not have to notify any authority regarding alpaca movements.... that said it is also my understanding that DEFRA are looking to change this, this year!

I hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:27:04 am by uppermillfarm »
Metal Detectorist

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »
No, apparently you don't even need a CPH number according to the advertisers!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:25:32 pm »
I don't get it.  Camelids can get and presumeably carry TB, what the £>$k are these bureaucrats on?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »
I don't get it.  Camelids can get and presumeably carry TB, what the £>$k are these bureaucrats on?

Again.... from what I understand alpacas (cannot comment on all camelids) currently do not have a test that is 100% accurate. In the past animals tested and thought to be carriers were put down and during post mortom found to be TB free. Similarly, alpacas tested and found clear have been tested further (due to other illness / accident) and during PM found to be carriers. I know the BAS is working very hard with other organisations to develop a reliable and accurate test.
Metal Detectorist

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »
The cattle test isnt 100% accurate either but it's still compulsory....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »
Whether or not they can be reliably tested for TB, if they can be moved around the country with no paperwork at all...  Well, I'm just speechless, really.  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »
Camelids are classed as "zoo" animals, not livestock, because we do not eat them. So you can move them around the country as you please, also owners do not have to consent to a TB test, nor will they be slaughtered, as far as I know....

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:08 pm »
Does seem odd that they require no paperwork.  I assume Camelids can be infected/carry  Foot and Mouth disease just like any other cloven-hoofed animal ?
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 03:33:48 pm »
Not sure of F&M but some of them def have TB! I wouldnt buy one if it hasnt been tested.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:32 pm »
I've been told that there is no reliable test for TB for - oh, um, was it just alpacas?  Someone will know..  :D

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 02:20:09 pm »
I know several people who have had TB in their alpacas and several people who have had to have them put down because of it or they have died from an unknown illness ::) I personally think it totally irresponsible that these animals can be moved around like pet cats and can therefore infect badgers and cattle in clean areas. It is shameful as it is potentially affecting livelihoods nevermind animal welfare..... :o >:(
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:16:49 pm »
We had a TB outbreak on our farm a few years back, resulting in cows being slaughtered.  I spoke with a DEFRA vet. regardng my goats, and told them about the llama.  They advised me to pasteurise the goats milk, but said they were not going to test either my goats or the llama - although neighbouring farms cows etc. were all tested at the time.  My own vet has atually said that should the ministry require my llama to be TB tested they can come and do it themselves, as he will not be doing a llama :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS