Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep can't see through fleece  (Read 3802 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Sheep can't see through fleece
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:02:18 am »
my Ryelands fleece seems to have gone into over drive in the last few weeks especially on their faces. I was thinking of giving them a small trim with scissors so they can see. Seriously the one has to tilt her head up to see whats going on and I am feeling rather sorry for her. Do you think a quick trim would be helpful or would you just leave them au natural. They are very friendly and don't mind having their heads handled so it shouldn't stress them, although I am concious they maybe preggers so am limiting their handling at the moment. Any thoughts gladly received  :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Sheep can't see through fleece
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:54:06 am »
I'd trim it, can't be nice.
We humans breed them to be so woolly, think we should help out in these circumstances   :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:29:44 am »
It's called wool-blindness. Happens with our Ryelands too - we carefully trim the wool away from the eyes. I eckon if I can't see in they can't see out.

Mind you, does make them easy to catch  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:46:04 am »
I reckon if I can't see in they can't see out.
Net curtains?   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:19:41 am »
Yes trim it earlier this year we caught up our hampshires and one was wool blind she took my legs out from under me because she couldn't see. I did a full somersault over her back could have been a lot worse just a bruised ego, a husband in hysterics and a very muddy bum and back.
I know Ryelands aren't as big but if they hit your legs at full speed they can do damage

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:28:40 am »
Another consideration is when ice and snow build up on the wool they can see even less, and the build-up might reach their eyes.  We do trim our top-knotted sheep's faces for the winter, although this has reminded me to do so this year.  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:56:53 pm »
I say trim them if they cant see they get very nervous especially when inside and start charging around and crashing into anything and everything :thumbsup:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »
I clip my Ryelands once a year and trim their faces as required the rest of the time. One or two are worse than others, don't do the whole face just around the eyes with handshears.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS