Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder advice please.  (Read 3298 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Udder advice please.
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:44:10 pm »
It seems that Curry is finally weaned but Pom's udder is very lopsided.  When I go to milk her, one side is rock hard and the other soft.  I'm getting 2 1/2 pints from her but most of that is from the side that is rock hard (but becomes soft once I've milked).  She is a bit lumpy but that started soon after she started suckling Curry in June.  There's no heat in the small side and the milk looks normal.  Could it be mastitis? 

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Udder advice please.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:38:20 am »
Most proabaly a low grade mastitis that would be helped by antibiotics..... not uncommon in goats who have recently lost the regilar milk consumer.

Could be a good idea to have a word with your Vet.    The other option to help her is to milk more often to relieve the pressure buiild up  but, if there is a low grade mastitis, this will not cure it.

Mastitis does not always have 'stringy clotted type of milk.... it can look normal... only under a microscope can the tell tale signs be seen..

With the Spring to look forward to and the grass getting better... milk yield may rise and the pressure will build up in the udder.   I am being optimistic about the weather !!!!!!!

Mastitis concerns are best treated immediately.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:44 pm »
Thanks, Wytsend.  That's what I thought but have only ever seen mastiits accompanied but hot udder and stringy milk before.  At least it's only one side so I should still be able to use the milk from the good side.  I'll give my vet a ring.  I have a very good one who knows goats.

As to milking more often, I was beginning to think I need to go on to twice a day as her treats aren't the biggest and it's hard to get started with milking until I have taken some off.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »
If you are only milking her out once a day and she has until very recently fed a kid I would definitely milk her twice a day, especially if you want to continue having milk from her (and she is not in kid).

I am not so sure about mastitis, she could just be very full on her side due to lack of kid suckling - 2.5 pints (about 1.5 litres???) per day mainly from one side is quite ok for this time of year.

If it is mastitis you will find that a) the milk yield will continue to reduce and b) when you filter it it will go quite slowly through the filter (something to do with the bacterial load). You can also do the "washing up liquid" test - just squirt some into a cup containing a bit of milk, if it all goes stringy and goey as you mix it you will have mastitis. if it just foams as normal - no mastitis. If you try and get it tested by the vets/laboratory - it costs about 100 pounds to culture etc etc.... First antbiotic I would try would be Pen & Strep. If she has small teats do not use the antibiotic stuff that needs to be squirted into the teats - better with an injection into the muscle.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:05:17 pm »
I did try the washing up liquid test with no effect but I've tried it before on a goat that so no effects and did have mastitis so it doesn't always work.  Goint to talk to the vet tomorrow and start twice a day milking.  To be honest, I've been putting it off as I do voluntary work as a Street Pastor and don't get to bed before 5am so don't fancy getting up to milk at 9am.  Evening milking is at 9pm so I could put it off for an hour or so the next morning.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »
I've been putting it off as I do voluntary work as a Street Pastor and don't get to bed before 5am

Every night???? That would take some stamina!

They would do alright with less than 12 hour intervals, mine are on a longer one overnight.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »
I've been putting it off as I do voluntary work as a Street Pastor and don't get to bed before 5am

Every night???? That would take some stamina!

They would do alright with less than 12 hour intervals, mine are on a longer one overnight.

No, only every third Friday.  Just spoken to my goat vet and he said he's seen lopsided milking in a number of goats and it is probably due to fibrous something or other.  He recommended feeding her more but they all feed together and I can't separate her.  I am going onto twice daily milking as from Sunday (out with SP tonight) partly to stimulate productions and partly so she gets a good go at the feed before the others get a look in.  Need some of those minerals!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS