Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: frothy yellow pooh?  (Read 6971 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
frothy yellow pooh?
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:30:44 am »
Hi,

for the last couple of days I have found some foamy, mustard coloured droppings in my coop. Any ideas?

Buffy

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: frothy yellow pooh?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:03 am »
mine do that
there's lots of different types :o
i'll try and find the site with them all on that i looked at when mine first did it
as long as they are eating and looking well all will be fine

now if it was the turkeys it could be blackhead

Mx

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:36:05 am »
Thanks for that,

I did have the odd ketchupy one a few weeks back but that seems to have settled down. Is it to do with coming into lay?

it looks almost like beaten egg yolk

Buffy

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:21:14 am »
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I've always found this page useful  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:28:15 am »
I was told than was worms, I wormed mine and it cleared up in 2 days
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:48 pm »
Ours do them often, particularly when they get excited. The frequency increases towards worming time, but they never stop, even after worming. Having said that we are getting more at the moment and they have just been wormed, so perhaps it is because they are coming to lay -think it's Spring with the mild weather.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »
MIne are all wormed and they occasionally do the frothy mustard jobs  :)  Its just a 'caecal' poo according to Aunt Sally so unlikely to be 'owt to worry about  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
I've seen an occasional few of these and they seem to be more frequent when the bad windy weather is upsetting them so I just assumed it was stress - which might fit the other examples given, worms, coming into lay etc would also create stress to the system I suppose..

Glad for the reassurance I'm not neglecting something - the chooks were wormed a few weeks ago so shouldn't be that and I'm still getting 3-5 eggs a day from the 8 girls, 4 on Christmas Day :) so they can't be too unhappy :)

The new 4 are just ornaments and George escaped yesterday wee b*gger but they seem to have settled ok so fingers crossed they'll pick up laying in spring..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

scroll down to 'caecal' - see if the frothy poo you are describing matches the pictures on this site. If they do, its normal and a poo that is expelled every 8-10 poos.  On that note, I will now go and cook lunch  ;) LOL
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »
Thanks for the site info,

it would seem that its not a sign of something sinister. I am due to worm them this weekend anyhow which wont do any harm.

Buffy

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »
This is another site that I have been a member of for many years with a good selection of  'Droppings Diagnosis'  pictures which might also help. It was open-access but spammers moved in and, I think, you now have to register to view.

http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:38 pm »
My grandpa used to say it was them just purging the badness, which I suppose is the same in every animal including ourselves. It seems to be a bit more common in chickens that have corn everyday as well.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 05:48:51 pm »
My grandpa used to say it was them just purging the badness, which I suppose is the same in every animal including ourselves. It seems to be a bit more common in chickens that have corn everyday as well.
That's a really interesting point actually as my lot haven't had any corn over xmas and there poo's have been more brown and white, less of the frothy yellows.  I usually throw them some handfuls of corn late afternoon to supplement their layers pellets but over the last few days they've had veggies (that of course have been nowhere near my kitchen  ::)  )

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »
well corn is like sweeties and has a higher fat content so just like us they have to get rid of the excess

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 07:30:13 pm »
Well they have got wormer in their water this week but given the rain we are having I will be fighting a loosing battle with my birds as they free range. All the rain will mean that they will be drinkung from puddles instead ::)

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS