Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving piglets outside.  (Read 3866 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Moving piglets outside.
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:59:41 pm »
My piglets are now just over 2 weeks old and still in a large stable with mum, they sleep in the creep area and are big, fat and lively!! We have prepared the paddock and ark outside and plan to move them out this week, but I'm so worried they'll get squashed sharing the ark with mum :-\ am I being over protective?!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Moving piglets outside.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »
Dont put too much straw in, let mum make the bed if she will.  If the arc has plenty of room should not be a problem. 

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »
I'd put them out, just like Hilarysmum says. A little straw bed and a good shelter will be fine.

You do realise that you'll also spend loads of time outside watching them!!!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:15:25 am »
I already do!! better than watching tv anyday!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:02:00 am »
Moved our sow and piglets outside on Sunday! Sow came very slowly and not really interested in the food, took 4 of us including my daughter who said' " all my friends are in bed eating chocolate and I'm outside in pj's pushing a pig!!) ";D ;D
once safely in the paddock we put piglets, 2 at a time, into a dustbin and carried them across!!
Sow was a bit down for a day or 2 but is fine now, the piglets have started eating hard feed and they all seem very happy and busy!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:20 am »
Sounds good.  You should have told your daughter how much she will thank you in a few years time when she still has all her teeth and is fit from pushing pigs around. 

DavidnChris

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:21 am »
including my daughter who said' " all my friends are in bed eating chocolate and I'm outside in pj's pushing a pig!!) ";D ;D
once safely in the paddock we put piglets, 2 at a time, into a dustbin and carried them across!!

I 100% guarantee that her friends will not remember the day they lay in bed and ate chocolate, your daughter will remember the day she pushed a pig and carried piglets in a bin.
She may not appreciate this now but she will in the future.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:38:40 pm »
Sounds like fun to me  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS