Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1300 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
Hi
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:40:32 pm »
Have the opportunity to pick up a couple of 1 year old mangalitza gilts and an arc, but need to decide quite quickly. I've not got any fencing up yet and obviously it's a busy time of the year so won't have time to fence the whole area I've got for them. What sort of space will they need on a temporary basis?

I'm trying to find out a few more details about them, like are they electric fence trained.

princesspiggy

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:57:50 pm »
i have a small paddock (about 20x20m) that is fine for big pigs on a temp basis. even half of that would be ok for a few weeks.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 08:47:07 pm »
Right then, we went to have a look at the pigs today, lovely as they are,  they aren't registered. Can they be registered now - they are about 1 year old - we've been told where they came from so I can contact the breeder if need be.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:43:12 pm »
if they have been birth notified and marked according to the breed either notched tattooed or double tagged by the original breeder       you have also to contact that breeder to register them if they are of breed standard
sometimes better to start afresh with good pigs that meet the required standard
do not buy as registered until you can see the paperwork from the bpa          people have been done this way before :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 09:52:04 am »
we started off with unreg stock then as we got more serious, we had to completely restock with reg stock, so id advise in getting reg stock in first place. u may have to hunt them down to find what ur looking for but its worth it in the long run.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS