Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not quite stonkered  (Read 3566 times)

Stonehead

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    • Musings from a Stonehead
Not quite stonkered
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »
G'day from Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to say 'Furryboots ur you fae' but I'm an Aussie interloper with a croft, a Scots lass, a couple of laddies, a day, a herd of pigs and a horde of ravaging chickens. We've had the croft for eight years now and are still clinging on, just. We're not quite stonkered yet.

I'm probably known to a few people on here—I can see you in the corner OaklandsPigs—from other forums and my blog. i've been meaning to pop in here for a while, but I'm as busy as a blue-****d fly and only found time to swing by today.
All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.

http://stoneheadcroft.com/

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Not quite stonkered
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »
Hello Stonehead.  :wave:

I've been a frequenter (read lurker) of your blog for some time now, very good to see you here.

Dan

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:01:17 pm »
Hi Stonehead!! :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:20:45 pm »
Hello!

What part of Oz do you hail from?

Stonehead

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 05:17:29 pm »
Here, there and everywhere. Army brat first, then I lived out of a backpack for years.

Let's see, now: Lithgow, Holsworthy, Enoggera, Watsonia, Baulkham Hills, Canberra, Singleton, Murwillumbah, Tweed Heads, Kirra, Canberra again, Port Fairy, Warrnambool, Perth, Albany, Bunbury, Mandurah and more. There were also a lot of places that I below through in a month or less, particularly out in the bush. At last count I've lived in just over 40 places. The croft is the longest I've lived in any place. I wouldn't mind trying somewhere new but the Other Half likes us being where we are (even though she's almost as travelled as me).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:19:51 pm by Stonehead »

Stonehead

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »
Looking further up I see some familiar names.  :wave:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:54:08 pm »
the last time a stonehead said he was not quite stonkered, i had to pass the pipe.
hello from cornwall.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »
I've read your blog too - mostly seeing how your coping with our Aberdeenshire weather and see if I can catch any tips - all the best for Christmas and New Year
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Stonehead

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:02:52 pm »
It's certainly been odd weather today. We were embedded in ice yesterday, but I woke at 5am today because I was too warm in bed. I checked the heating was off. It was. I checked the outside thermometer: 8ºC. By midday, the temperature was up to 11ºC. It's not supposed to be that warm in late December! Still, the ice is gone although I'm not sure mud is a good replacement.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:14:11 pm by Stonehead »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »
Hi  :wave: from an oddly warm and muddy smallholding in Cumbria  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 09:00:12 pm »
Fit like, Loon, foos yer doos?

Am an Aiberdeen quinie, masel.  Bit am a wee bittie far awa frae hame noo, like.  Mony a fine dyi been hud founering aroon wi ferm lasses and laddies fan i was a bittie lassie.

If onybuddy wints a translation jist let mi ken  ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and welcome to the forum, even if you are an Oz ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »
Hello Stonehead :wave:
Welcome to the mad house  ;) ;D
Karen  :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »
I've got one more gold square than you, Mrs M ;D ;D ;D  Just going to load up vid and email to you - Hmm jsut had a though, it'll be too big to email, will put it on photobucket and send link so Brucie can see what a brave little wife he has!  ;D

I suppose it's Ok to put it on here though.  Shouldn't offend smallholders gutting a turkey should it?  Not like offending my Vet's other clients by putting Freckles on their wall with a bl--dy great phessie in her gob!  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
You can post it here or on my facebook wall (with a warning for veggies & the squeemish not to look at it  ;)) :thumbsup:
It'll be interesting to see the funny faces I was pulling  ::) but by the time it got to 7 o'clock I was past caring  :D It was certainly something different and a very useful life skill that will stay with me (and be passed on to my children) BIG thanks to Lillian for teaching me  :-* :-* :-* :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS