Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild garlic alert!  (Read 3141 times)

Wellieboots

Wild garlic alert!
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:33 am »
Garlic breath will be back, just off to harvest my first lot of wild garlic growing in abundence along the river ericht up here in (very sunny today) Perthshire.

2009 foraging has officially started :yum: :yum:

sandy

Re: Wild garlic alert!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:15:15 am »
Glad you told me, bought my Food for free book due to last year getting loads of wild garlic, raspberries and brambles.....Garlic hiunting here we come!!!!!Thanks ;D (not a smiley for smelly breath)

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:38 am »
I know your area very well as I lived near Bridge of cally for quite a long time, working on the local farms and sustaining myself with wild foods and anything the dogs caught.

There are lots of hazel nuts and sloe berries to be got too.

I still visit occasionally with my wife and young family, although our last picnic by the river was marred by the attentions of a local landowner, seemingly nervous about our proximity to her new fisherman's hut (out of season)..........I had to politely point out that we were merely having a morning out as a family and, as a country dweller all my life, I was well aware of how to behave and that we were merely exercising our right of responsible access.

Little did this particular person know that, had it not been for my hard work and sense of loyalty to her late father-in-law, and my looking after the place and stock while a relative of hers drank himself stupid in the local hotel every weekend, she may not have still had a viable farm to "protect from outsiders coming in", as she put it.  ::)

She only knew we were there because another landowner from the other side of the river had seen us as she walked her dog, and had phoned our would-be harrasser.

Needless to say we left the place as we found it.

I love that part of the country with the steep drops to the river and the pockets of old woodland interspersed with the species trees of more recent times.

Good luck with your foraging.  :)

Wellieboots

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:12:37 am »
Bridge of Cally is a nice part of the world all right. I'm out past B'Gowrie in the sticks & head up to 'Cally on the ol' mountain bike.
Some of the landowners round here are a bit "geddaffmyland" but a few words to the wise usually puts told to any of that  nonsense!
Wild garlic is ridiculous in its abundance, already frozen soup & made pesto...running outa ideas now! Kitty Swansons walk along the Ericht is covered in carpets of the stuff.
Any heads up on locales on the hazel nuts & sloes as I only moved here last year so am still developing my local foraging knoweldge. Have found a sweet chestnut up the Catalan trail from B of Cally already!
Cheers
 ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS