Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas cake  (Read 5135 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Christmas cake
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:21 am »
Put my cakes in the oven at 8o'clock on gas mark 2.  After half hour I turned the oven down to 1/2 as the recipe stated.  An hour later my OH pointed out that the oven wasn't alight.   >:(  Lit it again  As soon as I turned it down it went out.  >:( >:(  I am now due to get to bed sometime after 2am.  IT'D BETTER TASTE GOOD.   

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Christmas cake
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:45 am »
Poor you!

IT'D BETTER TASTE GOOD.

I don't think it would dare do otherwise!  ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:26:10 am »
ours was in about 6 hours! The gas ran out after 4, so had to put the emergency on the meter
the top looked too sticky to risk taking it out

Mind you, it could have been the extra sweetener - a friend bought us one of those "ready to cook, just add eggs" ones from tesco (not the more expensive Delia Smith one, some 1970s cook I've never heard of, on offer at £5!)
and o/h was mixing as I was papering the tin.... I passed him the bag of icing sugar instead of the flour & he chucked it in without looking!!
So its a lovely and sweet cake topped with just marzipan  :D :D
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:36:22 pm »
I think it might be just a wee bit too sweet  ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:57:52 pm »
(not the more expensive Delia Smith one, some 1970s cook I've never heard of, on offer at £5!)

That'd be Mary Berry then  ;) I've made her Xmas chutney receipe for the last couple of years - it's great  :yum:
I spotted the kits down at a fiver too, and since I hadn't got round to making my cake picked one up.
Mine definately won't be as sweet as yours Ruth, Kaitlin decided to dousesoak it in lemon juice  :o so there's about quarter of a bottle of brandy in it now to try & mask the flavour ::) ;) ;D :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
Well with all that brandy in it you will probably be past caring about the taste  ;D ;D ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 01:18:30 pm »
(not the more expensive Delia Smith one, some 1970s cook I've never heard of, on offer at £5!)

That'd be Mary Berry then  ;) I've made her Xmas chutney receipe for the last couple of years - it's great  :yum:
I spotted the kits down at a fiver too, and since I hadn't got round to making my cake picked one up.
Mine definately won't be as sweet as yours Ruth, Kaitlin decided to dousesoak it in lemon juice  :o so there's about quarter of a bottle of brandy in it now to try & mask the flavour ::) ;) ;D :thumbsup:

don't fib the brandy was going in anyway!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 06:52:42 pm »
Finally got to bed at 2.45am but the cakes look ok.  Just glad I didn't have to get up to do morning milking.  Still only milking once a day.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:07:24 pm »
The extra sweet cake is actually lovely! :D
And the extra booze stops it being too sweet....

Thats the lady, thanks Karen,  Mary Berry - very Christmassy name!
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:53 pm »
The cakes are now marzipanned.   :D  The big one had lots of cracks (when I say cracks I mean it was broken in bits) so I warmed extra apricot jam and poured it all over.  Hopefully it will seal everything.   ;D  To be honest, I think it was mainly due to the fact that a lot of liquid escaped from the bottom of the tin.  Daisy dog cleared up the mess from the kitchen floor.  The recipe includes 1/4 pint red wine and 1/4 pint of brandy. Daisy is sleeping soundly now.  Hope she doesn't have a headache in the morning.  ;D ;D

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:01 am »
I made my cake using one of Mary Berry recipes that I found online and it is gorgeous!  Made it in November and have been dousing it in sherry ever since and it is lovely and moist and tastes great - I think I'll stick to that recipe every year from now on.
Mel x

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:50:34 pm »
My recipe is a Victorian one called 'Mrs Putnams's Wedding Cake'.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

Just tried this years cake after throwing last years in the bin as it was horrible, this years is Delia's Irish whisky cake and has 1/2 bottle of whisky in it. Have to say it is delicious, would definately recomend it.
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 10:25:24 pm »
Despite their shaky start, the cakes were lovely.   :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »
"were" ?!
;)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS