Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens and Turkeys....?  (Read 3041 times)

AndyMorton

• Joined Jan 2011
Chickens and Turkeys....?
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »
Apologies if this is a question with a very obvious answer, but I'm just starting down the route of mentally planning on keeping a little livestock next year....

Is it possible/ advisable to keep chickens and turkeys together? Would they need seperate places to roost? Would they be ok sharing the same pen all day? (it would have to be a totally enclosed pen due to foxy loxy...)

Thanks in advance for tips and advice! :D

Andy

:bee:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Chickens and Turkeys....?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »
First of all I would read up on a disease called Blackhead. Chickens are more resistant but it is a killer and there is no cure for turkeys. The ground is infected so best to keep them apart ,dont even put turkeys on ground that has had chooks on, it is easy to say 'I have had no problems ' until you know someone who has lost two flocks through infected ground. They will get on but occassionally do scrap with chickens when they meet in a cocky mood and it is not nice as they dont give in My turkeys roost at chest height in a stable and I have no problems getting them in as I only feed them at night. They graze like a goose so need plenty of space , a small paddock is ideal not a chook run . mine share with the goats.They can fly depending on breed so they will have to be clipped if they do.
 So basically best kept apart, turkeys in a paddock with plenty of grass and  a large shed and chooks in their run/ seperate paddock with their nest boxes quiet for them. Good luck.Turkeys are great fun.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:41:41 pm »
I agree - best to keep them separate.  There was a cure for blackhead - emtryl - but now banned as perported to be carcinogenic.  Blackhead affects all game birds.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:43:54 pm »
I've heard its a problem as well, so best kept apart on fresh ground. I also learned that ACS additives in feeds are deadly to Turkeys and a farmer accidentally killed 2000 of his chicks with a feed mixup this year.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
The secret of keeping chickens and turkeys in relative close proximity is regular worming.
We have to keep ours behind Heras panels (when lighter) and electric fencing (when heavier) despite having a 6 foot perimeter fence round the field, and the local chasse popping off their guns two days a week................ I still often see a fox sat in the middle of the field licking its lips while watching my chooks..................
I should imagine our land has had chickens running on it in the past as it had been a small farm and we have the field(s) next to the farmhouse, so we err on the safe side and worm our turkeys every 6/8 weeks. So far, so good!
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

AndyMorton

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »
Cheers all, as advised i think i'll keep on the side of caution and keep them separate.

Thanks again! :D

:bee:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS