Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep colour genetics  (Read 3385 times)

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
sheep colour genetics
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »
Having kept coloured shetlands for years I have only just bothered to find out about colour genetics. I had no idea it was so simple or so fasinating. If I had kept records of the different lambs each ewe has had I would by now know exactly what genes they all had. As it is I will need to start the process now.
My Moorit ram is easy to work out because brown and unmarked are both recessive so I know he has homozgotes (matching pairs of the brown gene and the unmarked gene. I also know that he has a hetrazygote (not matching pair) of spotty and unspotty. Thats because he has produced spotty lambs and because spotty is recessive a lamb needs a homozygote of spotty genes (one from each parent) to be spotty.
I'm starting to get obsessed with this!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: sheep colour genetics
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:55:43 pm »
LOL welcome to the club ;D
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:37:17 pm »
It's good isn't it  ;D I've decided I need a spotty, brown tup  :)

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:59:36 pm »
I just joined the Yahoo sheep colour genetics discussion group and having asked a question and got several answers I am going to need to retract my comment about the subject being "simple".

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »
I just joined the Yahoo sheep colour genetics discussion group and having asked a question and got several answers I am going to need to retract my comment about the subject being "simple".

LOL again yep but its like a logic puzzle the more you learn the more it pulls you in and I guarantee you will never solve it:-)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:06:45 am »
I don't know too much about sheep colour genetics but have studied and taught equine genetics and that is fascinating but can be a hugely complex topic. It is addictive when you start mapping though and it just draws you further and further into the possibilities of the resultant progeny. Good luck with it, I'm sure you will get more and more fascinated the more you look into it  ;D

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:30:37 am »
Ha, you should try Budgies, when i looked into what i could get from my birds i gave myself a headache!!
My mottled yellow cock and hen produced blue and white chicks!!! :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS