Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bitter milk  (Read 2171 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
bitter milk
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:43:47 am »
hello

just wondering if anyone has found that milk from drying off goats tastes a bit funny? not goaty but just a bit bitter (like grass Tony says as I can't drink the stuff!)

not sure if we have a Vit B12 deficiency or the fact she is back in season (as unmated) might have affected it but shes' only giving a pint a day so I'm trying to dry her off totally to give a break too. she's a maiden milker.
with her giving so little and her feed has been decreased too, am wondering if I can just stop milking now rather than keep stimulating her to produce by milking alternate days as I have been.
thanks in advance (as always!)
Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: bitter milk
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:36 am »
Is she eating ivy? Good for her but can taint the milk.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:13:25 am »
there's no ivy in her paddock and I've not given her any for a little while but thanks for the suggestion  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:30:21 pm »
Normally "off" milk is goaty..... could still be a mineral imbalance, lack opf B12.  We are working as fast as we can to get production under way of the new minerals !!!!!!

Dry her off now and give a longish break.   Just thought... a very low grade mastitis can cause bad flavour in milk   so keep an eye on the udder as she dries off.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »
Thank you Wytsend.  I've just been out and bought a brand new mineral lick for her incase she's stopped licking the other one (just to be safe!) she's having caprivite in her feed too.
I asked hubby and my 7 year old who both tested it and they said it didn't smell or taste goaty (it didn't smell goaty to me either) but it was like eating grass ( Only my family could com eup with that one!!)

will keep a close eye on that udder. feed is decreased, will not milk her again as was only doing it every 2 days and bag never really full, already quite saggy when i did go to milk her.  looking forward to the new minerals!! 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:50:07 am »
I'm drying off my old goat and her milk tastes the same as it ever did.  Taking ages to dry her though as I can't cut her food down as they are all in together.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:00:37 am »
I'm drying off my old goat and her milk tastes the same as it ever did.  Taking ages to dry her though as I can't cut her food down as they are all in together.
mine get anchored just while they eat their concentrates and I stand by, that is the only way I can make sure they get the right amount of feed each  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:00 pm »
Mine don't eat it all in one go so I'd be there forever.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS