Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what do i get  (Read 2084 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
what do i get
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:59 pm »
being a newby what do i get apart from meat when i pick up from the butcher...... i cant see me finding any use for the blood,head and trotters as i have no doge etc and my wife wouldnt like it for anything, but what about any excess fat, what can be done with this...... also how do i get dripping

robert waddell

Re: what do i get
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:31 pm »
what you pick up from the butcher might not be as much as you expect
blood that is left at the slaughterhouse
head and trotters might also be left at the slaughterhouse or if not the butcher might take them them
you want dripping    you will need the excess fat for that
this could end up the education of harry and his wife :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:20:07 pm »
When we took our first 6 to slaughter i must admit i was a tad suprised to find the heads in there  :pig: i expected the trotters and offal but wasn't prepared for heads.  Seeing as they were in there i dealth with it :) my slaughter house doesn't allow us to take the blood back for black pudding, much to my dissapointment.  None of mine were fat so i didn't get anything else

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:57 pm »
jus ask clearly, again and again til u get what u asked for.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:08:25 am »
It's not your abattoir that stops you getting your own blood back but the EU. There are now strict rules about the disposal of blood.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:00:52 am »
I take a clean fermenting bucket, with lid and ask for the blood. Why should you not have it? Surely any pathogens circulating in the blood would be in the rest of the pig.
I don't ASK the abattoir what they will give me. I TELL them what I want back (whose pig is it?? :o) and have never had any trouble.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:07:50 am »
It's not your abattoir that stops you getting your own blood back but the EU. There are now strict rules about the disposal of blood.
Ooops  :-\
Ours lets us collect the blood, but we have to wait on the day for it.
I must admit we don't do anything with it, but we take it straight to a Chinese family OH knows and they use it in a medicinal capacity (no, I didn't ask  ;))

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:16:00 am »
You have to wait for the blood Karen as you have to stir it until it's cool to prevent clotting. My niece has to go for a walk while I'm doing it, she has a sensitive streak ;D

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:45:47 pm »
Harry, if you roast the ears and trotters then sell them to people who have dogs, my 3 love the ears and trotters though my eldest Jack Russell can't wait til the animal is dead and will have a go if they are led down by the fence ;D, the excess fat that I have I melt down so liquid then stir as cooling so  doesn't all stick together I then sell it to friends with horses for mud fever it seems to work and for them to buy from a saddlery shop is really expensive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS