Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit and veg  (Read 6483 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Fruit and veg
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:41:07 pm »
Myself and my nephew were feeding the Tamworth weaners some fruit and veg (bananas, strawberrys, apples and potatoes) this evening. Now they were just plain crazy about them. So indeed, it could be said were we, as we were feeding by hand (albeit very carefully). I have to say how amazed I am, that after such a short amount of time with us, that they are so friendly. We can pet and rub them (not just when they are feeding). I am hoping that them becoming used to human contact, will make them more manageable when they are older....fingers crossed! Our local fruit and veg man is an absolute gift, we can call to him anyday and he gives us the fruit and veg that is about to spoil, as my dad used to say 'free, gratis and for nothing'. I suppose this post doesn't really have any purpose...it's just a pleasant little story from Home Farm, Cavan!

(everyone say hello to my little nephew John...he's 11, and is living with us for four months while his Mammy is on active duty in Chad...he sure does miss her, god bless him).

Ah well, off to bed, tomorrows another day!

Morgan  :farmer:

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
Re: Fruit and veg
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:02:17 am »
Hello John!!  ;D :D Your mum will be back safe and sound before you know it, I've got my nice living with me, we keep a diary for her mum so she can put the things she has done or places shes been in it, it great fun and great for them to catch up with.

What a great way to spend the evening and yes it will make them easier to handle, just watch hand feeding as they may associate you with food and start biting, i should know I'm nursing a bitten toe at the moment (own fault 1) not having my steel toe caps on,  2) answering phone in the pig pen) very silly, hanging head in shame :-\ :'( :-\
Anyway very pleased with my babies, like you I've spent allot of time with the babies (not really babies 6 months now) and have feed them from the bucket, needed to move them to the new pen today about 100meters from the old pen across an open field, and have been having visions of them disappearing in diffrent directions!! Well it went like this, Stood at gate bucket in hand, shall i shan't i, yes it needs doing whats the worst that will happen, no don't think about that. Four little noses at gate thinking I've gone mad starring at them with feed in hand and not giving it to them. Open gate, looks of suprise on faces, one comes out and takes some nuts followed by the others then just walk with the bucket down the drive into the field thinking any moment now they'll make a break for it, no they followed to heel just like a dog across the field and in to the new pen, MAGIC!! I'm so pleased with them, extra tea for them tonight!! hope yours turn out as easy to handle/move when the time comes!  ;D ;D ;D :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:23 am »
Hi,
Like you Morgan, we have a lovely family at the local fruit & veg shop who gave us their 'waste' a lot of it was almost perfect but maybe just had a bruise or a small mark and no-one wanted to buy it. There was usually a box left for us every night (and in the summer this often went to 2 boxes, as everything went off quicker in the heat)
I would also say that by hand feeding you get the chance to be up close to your pigs, you get to know them and you also get the chance to give them a quick check over to make sure everythings ok. I did this with my 2 and they followed me (or was it the bucket?) everywhere. This made loading, moving and handling much easier - and the look of amazement on the faces of the guys at the abbetoir when they just trotted in behind me was something I'm quite proud of ! ;)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 05:44:18 pm »
pegusus pig, they certainly associate me with food! Today the clambered about so much at my feet when I went into the enclosure, that I fell over (thank God for straw turfed out of the pen!). I'm just going to feed them treats by hand from now on anyway. What type of pigs have you got? Ours are a great bunch of Tamworths, with bucket loads of personality.

Hppy hippy, the great thing about being so close to the pigs is that they now come when they're called! Our boys just adore them, even the second youngest, who is only two. Our fruit and veg man doesn't realise it, but he's a great source of free treats!. i had originally gone to a local supermarket, but they weren't helpful at all. Guess who we buy our fruit and veg from now! Their loss, our gain.

Morgan :farmer:

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »
Mine are a wonderful bunch of blond mangalizas, curly coated pigs! lovely affectionate creatures, would love to get a saddleback sow. Never had tamworths, by some of the posts on here they sound a real handfull. Pigs when treated right are wonderful with children, my kids are from 2 to 5 years and they all love to "help" do the animals. My sisters little girl has an amazing bond with the boar (the one I'm told will be dangours, can kill a man) He follows her up and down the pen all day long, she knows not to touch him unless I'm there, then he lies down for her to rub his tummy like a dog! such a gentle animal.  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

I use to get fruit and veg the same as you for the pigs, but was told by of all people the health visitor, (her OH farms pigs), that i couldn't feed them fruit and veg as it was intended for human consumption??? I had thought it was only things like scraps and kitchen waste that had had the possibility of being contaminated by meat products that was banned?? anyway made up for this our feed merchant sells potatoes so have been getting these for them, although these are intended for the customer not the animals!! can i go back to getting the veg from the veg man?? do hope so they love the variety and so do we. Emma  ??? ??? ??? :D :D :pig:

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:54:04 pm »
Your right it is only stuff that has come from somewhere it may have come into contact with animal bi products. Fruit and veg are fine as long as they havent been in the kitchen or from a food manufacturer. A fruit and veg wholesaler is fine. Even bread from tescos is fine.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:25 pm »
Sounds like you got an uninformed 'jobsworth'. Your regs are slightly different in the Uk, but as far as I know it's all good unless there is a risk of cross contamination i.e. it shouldn't come from the kitchen....just in case it may come into contact with meat or a surface that has had meat on it. Personally, once I have prepared the veg I put the scrapings into a special bucket outside (only when this is gone do I go anywhere near meat). I make them up a warm pot of 'porridge' i.e veg and grain, in the evening. I think common sense should rule. My wife is a chef so we use different surfaces for meat and veg anyway, so I'm not worried about any sort of contamination. I'm still laughing about the fruit from the market 'for human consumption' bit from the health visitor.... what a clob! My Tammies just love fruit, apples, grapes, strawberry's and bananas...I wouldn't deprive them of the pleasure of eating them! I was thinking of getting a few pedigree saddlebacks too, but I want to learn all I can with the tamworths before diversifing. Good chatting with you.

Morgan  :farmer:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:03:05 pm by sausagesandcash »

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:37 am »

Hppy hippy, the great thing about being so close to the pigs is that they now come when they're called! Our boys just adore them, even the second youngest, who is only two. Morgan :farmer:
My 2 girls who were 2 and 4 when we had our pigs used to love going and playing with them. In fact, when we set up the ark for the first time we couldn't my youngest to come out it - it was her and piglets 'tea party', as the pigs got to about 6 months my older daughter, who's horse daft and REALLY wants a pony, decided to try turning the pigs into makeshift ponies ! LOL! I nearly wet myself when I saw her try a spot of 'hog riding'. She tried Sausage, the tamworth 1st who promptly squealed and ran off sending her flying into a forrest of nettles. So turned her attentions to Rasher, the saddleback, who was a bit calmer (& slower) she managed to stay on long enough to reach the REALLY muddy bit, before falling off ! OMG !!! It really was soooooo funny.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 11:03:25 am »
Childrens rodeo!

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:53:27 pm »
Thank you for clearing that up, i had thought as much, don't know why I'd listened to her over the pigs never do over the children. think it must have been that DEFRA rules thingy doesn't matter how much i try when that words mentioned my brain goes skipping through poppy fields, whooooooosh gone.
As kids my best friend had a saddleback we had so much fun with her, being horsey girls trying to ride her, she was such a wonder fully tolerant pig, and a great mother.  :pig: :pig: :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »
Morgan,

Have you tried them with trifle yet ? Another thing ours go crazy for is melon.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:59:06 pm »
Gavin,

I'd never though of mellons, damn good idea though! Will give them a run during the week.

Your Ruby has settled in nicely with the other two Tams. I'm now able to run my hands down their sides, at the rear of their front legs without them startling (i'm just trying to get them used to it for when I get the Weight Band for pigeroos). They're a very affectionate bunch....looking down the line, though, have you any idea at what age, if any, I should no longer allow the kids into the enclosure unsupervised? I know i'll have to be especially cautious when they have their young, but i'm assuming that after a certain age i'll have to keep an eye on them more closely.

The boys are looking forward to the arrival of 'Rita', we christened them all by their bloodlines....makes it easier for me to remember!

Regards,

Morgan  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 06:47:38 am »
Hilary is very keen on vegetable curry; loves melon, and mangoes. (We dont pay for our veggies)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 07:58:26 am »
Morgan,

When the pigs are at a size where they can knock the little ones off their feet. There wouldn't be any malice involved but it could be a little too much for the kids. Also the other times to watch is when the girls are in heat and the boar is with them, he'll be a bit over protective of his wives.
We've found that some mums are more protective than others - you'll just have to play it by ear.

Cheers

Gavin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS