Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TRUSTY TRACTOR  (Read 19695 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
TRUSTY TRACTOR
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:42 pm »
Anyone ever worked with a trusty tractor (walk behind) i have ploughs, tiller etc would like help from anyone in norfolk suffolk to get me started..... regards harry.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: TRUSTY TRACTOR
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:00:42 pm »
Hi Harry

I'm too far away to be of practical help but I have used a similar BMB Plowmate years ago.  Bear in mind that this was when I was younger and fitter.... They are Bl**dy hard work!!  Heavy and hard to steer, incredibly noisy and (depending on the engine) temperamental.
Of course, don't let me put you off!

Dave  (who now has a Ferguson TEF20)
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Trusty Bloke

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:04:37 pm »
Hi All
Was just Googling around for Trusty Tractor and came up with this link for information about using these machines.
As a non member of your forum I joined specifically to answer your question and offer advice ..........
I'm a member of the Vintage Horticultural & Garden Machinery Club, the VHGMC and we have a forum a bit like this one.
I would recommend you join our forum and ask the question there. Many of our members are small holders or attend ploughing matches regularly using anything from BMB Ploughmates (as mentioned above) to Anzani Iron Horses and Trusty Tractors which this particular thread is about.
I myself have one 1944 Jap 5 Engined Trusty dating to about 1944, another awaiting restoration (again JAP 5) about the same date and a later Trusty derelict body fitted with the safety reverse gearbox, when I find a JAP 5 engine I'll get that one working again. I'm a novice at ploughing with my Trusty, although I can open and do something that looks ok to the novice but looks terrible to one our the ploughmen, but ask the question on our forum, and I'm sure someone will direct you to the nearest ploughing match, or better still one of our local "plough what you bring" type events, where as a novice you can bring along your Trusty and plough and practice on someone elses field, ask advice, have a few beers, camp on site for the weekend and chill ......... even better, join the VHGMC, receive a quarterly newsletter telling you what is coming up, experts in the club to e-mail or phone for specific advice on your machine. Some of our experts also have many spares, which they may sell if you are stuck for parts.
Can't answer your question better than that !
Oh, they can be tempermental and hard to control. That's because you haven't set the engine and/or govener up correctly - these machines are now getting on for 50-60 years old - things wear out. Or maybe your plough is not set for the correct offset and depth depending on plough type (greyhound or digger plough) and ofcourse ground conditions. You may be using all metal pyramid /spade lug type wheels (good for the south where we get well drained flinty soils) or you may be using pneumatic/rubber tyred wheels - these are better in clay soils.
Correctly set up you should he able to walk out of the furrow, with your right hand on the left hand handlebar and it will follow the line of the previous furrow, I've seen it done. You should never have to struggle with the machine, it's there to make life easier - so if you struggle you're doing it wrong ......... !
Then again, I could be wrong, I'm no expert ;-))
Cheers
Richard (Member: VHGMC) - Southampton, Hampshire
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:32:33 pm by Trusty Bloke »

steveredd

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:15:21 am »
Hi Harry, I am on the north norfolk coast and I have recently bought a trusty with a plough too, I am an engineer by trade, turned full time carer,  if I can be of any help give me  a shout

landyman

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:00:44 pm »
hi i have just bought a trusty tracor but am having problems with it starting ie it wont any ideas  there is compression  and a spark but it wornt fire up   think may be a fuel problem  carbs seem to leak fuel    if anyone can help i live in norwich and would grately appreciat any help given many thanks  trev 07900835641   :) :farmer: ???

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:04 pm »
I know this is heresy to anyone who looks after their machinery, but my solution is to keep a can of Bradex Easy Start handy. You spray a little in the air inlet (or air filter if there is one) and the engine usually fires long enough to get going on petrol (or diesel).

The spray is ether which burns very easily so be careful where you spray it. You only need a little to get a small engine started so don't put too much or it is wasted and will stop the engine running rather than helping it start.

I use it on my chain saw and strimmer after they have been standing unused to a while.

You can get this stuff from Halfords and similar stores.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

compan

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:33:10 pm »
I used a Trusty tractor as a teenager in the 1950s.  Ploughed, harrowed, everything. One thing I remember the owner always telling me "dont fight it, just use your weight".  I agree with the comments about the correct setting of the tickover speed.  It should just sit there idling until you twist the grip. You have to let it have its head.  if you want to turn it, then stop, disengage the correct side, just use your weight to lean out of the turn, and leave it do the rest.    Whatever you do, don't fight it, let it have its head.  Just use your weight and give it time.

I am so jealous.

Regards

Martin (68yrs).

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »
thanks all hope to do some work with it this year 2010.. even if i just use it for pulling a farm trailer. looking for an additional connector the ones with a wedge to make a trailer hitch

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »
Hello all When i was much younger the firm i worked for had what nowadays would be called a horticultural division..We  sold and serviced Landmaster- Howard- Trusty- the odd British Anzani now that one is like Clifford you can fight it and often loose and a lovely little ANIMAL called Barford Atom.Can you remember The Good Life and Felicity in Richards trailer behind the Howard Margot was not amused But I've been there and done all that 50 years ago lol :farmer:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:55:13 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:10:08 pm »
Harry I can even remember Aspera Engines with a atmospheric differential carb; at first we didn't see how they worked no float chamber so you couldn't flood it to give it a good chance of starting.Them were the days The days of mechanics not unit changers.I still have a few tools left like a crypton electro master a thing that you can see how much charge you can get from the dynamo even if you have no battery to charge with it.Can you remember the three bobbin regulators RB310 and the awful adjuster I still have the tool to turn the snail its a long time since I used any of it though.I did have a look at a 50 tired Donkeys that stopped charging just before Xmas He was a bit pleased when I put a couple of brushes in and cleaned the com put it together and adjusted the charge rate to 11 amps and 13.5 volts It cost him for the brushes a couple of quid Better than £35 sovs +p&p from one of these chaps in the Old Glory and such like mags :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

john43

• Joined Apr 2011
  • north walsham, norfolk
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »
hi all. i have just got a trusty it  has not been going for two years, person i got it from didnt know much about it. is there any body near north walsham who could give me advice on getting it started and useing it i would be greatful. thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS