Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh my word my dogs are amazing!  (Read 2451 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Oh my word my dogs are amazing!
« on: December 17, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »
I didn't know where to put this as it covers a couple of topics so I thought I'd bung it here.

I got a rescue rabbit on Wednesday via freecycle (I wasn't looking for a rabbit but am a sucker ::)) he is now called Geoff and is living in a pen in the static that I call home.
Red Dog is a rabbiter, Red Dog is also currently laid on the dog bed, next to a flopped out relaxed Geoff?!?
Pilot is in love with him, I'm so proud of my dogs, I'm sure they understand that he is different to the wild rabbits they catch ;D ;D :bunny: :dog: :dog:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Oh my word my dogs are amazing!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:09:00 pm »
Aye right ;) ;D ;D Just don't leave them alone together!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »
As a child I had loads of animals including rabbits.  The rabbits were allowed to run round if I was about, and the dog and cat who would catch and kill wild rabbits given the chance never did any damage to them.  Sometimes the dog would chase them a bit and stand over them when they gave up but never offered to bite them

If they weather was cold they would come in and lie in his dog basket which was next to the Aga, and if the door to the bottom oven had been left ajar they would get in there.  Looking back probably not very hygienic, but it didn't bother me at the time

I don't think we give animals enough credit for their intelligence.  Your dogs sound great.  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:36:19 pm »
Ah bless them.   :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:24:08 am »
Ahhhh, bless!   We'd like pictures pleeeeeasssseeee!  ;D   :dog: :love: :bunny:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:44:50 am »
I don't know what 'it' is either but our ducks run for cover if a bird of prey flies over but will happily sleep around the owl and buzzard when they are out on their bow perches - even them flapping and stretching their wings doesn't bother them, the cat catches the odd bird (unfortunately - but I feed them to make up for it) but he never bothers the ducks - and it goes on, I think for some unknown reason they see each other as part of the family so out of bounds
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:57:51 pm »
My dog will chase any cat she sees outside or in the garden, but if she goes to someone's house who has a cat, she just looks at it.  She knows the difference.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:57:30 am »
Most of my cats seem to have been great judges of canine character.  (Possibly human character too, but that's a whole other story book.)

My first cat, Mix - the one that looked like Buffy's cat Polly - was ace at dogs.  I had a friend with a very large, very bouncy GSD.  First time he visited us at home, he spied the cat asleep on the back of the sofa at the far end of the next room and promptly launched himself at a gallop in its direction.  Halfway across the second room, the cat opened one eye.  The GSD skidded to a halt in its own length, looked sheepish, turned away and skulked off back from whence it came.  Mix watched him leave, flicked the end of his tail just once, closed his eye and resumed his snooze.  Maybe there was just a hint of a smug smile playing around the corner of his mouth...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS