Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mouldy hay  (Read 6854 times)

robert waddell

Re: Mouldy hay
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:45:49 pm »
hay does not break down the same as straw   if it is stored on concrete it does go black and rot :farmer:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 09:25:57 am »
I would try the local farmers one of them may want it for cows we have a farmer here who takes all our not so good hay and feeds it outside to his cows if they don't eat it they lay on it. I think it would be fine if you gave it for free because it's bad you wouldn't want to charge for it.
I had to laugh when you said the mice had been on it, my old pony would leave our good hay and eat the mousey stuff!! must of liked the taste

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »
i would sujest to burn it and try to buy some new bales and put them on pallets round bales  about £15.00 and small bales about £5.00  :farmer:

waterhouse

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 09:22:58 am »
50 years ago I helped my cousin dump their mouldy hay in the river! 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 09:29:41 am »
Ha, better not do that before the inspector arrives! At the moment, because of the inspector, I'm ignoring it. Will have to do something after Christmas......

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 09:53:20 am »
No way would I feed or use as bedding mouldy straw or hay.  What are your animals worth to you - I would bet a lot more than some bales of mouldy feed.  Burn it asap.  Pity you didnt know anyone with a straw/hay burning furnace for their Central Heating.  Masses of harmful fungal spores it in - get rid.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS