Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for a goose  (Read 3404 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
How much for a goose
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »

Have just finished plucking the 6 geese which range between 12lb to 16lb, now I need to decide how much to sell them for, how much does everyone charge?
Anne

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: How much for a goose
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:02:46 pm »
The commercial shop price seems to around £11 a kilo  :D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:18:30 am »
My neighbours are charging £3 per lb.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:57:56 am »
Mine are only the smaller faroese but free range, never fed and sold a couple for £20.00 each.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:07 am »
I had turkey again this year.  It is the only time I eat it, so it is nice as a treat.  I used to rear my own Norfolk Blacks, but a young farming family moved to the area, and were a bit strapped for cash in their early days, and reared turkeys to help out.

At the time all the family came to me, so for years I had one of the bigger ones that she found more difficult to sell, with the arrangement being I didn't mind the size as long as I could get it in the Aga oven. 

Times have changed and there is now just Mum and me on Christmas day, though the family come for "cold turkey" on Boxing Day, and after years of turkey cooking I feel I have it off to a T and produce a perfectly cooked moist bird each year

However as I lugged my 20+lb Turkey plus all the stuffings as well in and out of the oven on Christmas Day I did wonder what I am up to.  The farmers are in their 50's now with grown up children and are definitely in the "millionaire" bracket.  :)  My turkey came in at £74.25 - never mind it was a good one, and I shall have plenty of turkey soup and curry shortly - I am "cold turkeyed out" at present

I think that is why I decided to sell my Wiltshire Horn sheep - I thought my back just wouldn't stand the strain this lambing time.

Happy New Year Everyone

PS I shall be having some interesting hatching eggs this spring, as well as my brown I have some lovely blue Cream Legbar eggs , and some Green Eggs that have been crossed back to an Olive Egger to hopefully make for a really colourful egg basket
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »
Hi Daisys Mum,

Gosh, they were really nice sized geese..................................!
What breed are they?
We have Grise des Landes/Toulouse cross here in France that are oven-ready at around 5 kilos. We sell ours at 30€ no matter what the size( they are a prohibitive price in the shops.) How much did you charge for them in the end?
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS