Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune boar - super breeding quality piglet - Lanark  (Read 6006 times)

HappyHippy

Kune Kune boar - super breeding quality piglet - Lanark
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:45:57 pm »
Hi folks,

From my most recent litter of pure Kune Kunes I have an absolutely stunning little fella - normally I get them all routinely castrated by the vet @ 6 weeks, but this wee guy would be wasted as a castrate  :-\
So this is his change to escape the knife and find a good breeding home  :D

He's only 3 weeks old, so won't be leaving til after the new year - but if you'd be interested let me know asap so that he doesn't go to the vet  :thumbsup:

Sire: Brucklay Te-Whangi 5, Dam: Tillykeira Awakino
2 piri's (although one is slightly smaller, but it is there)
16 teats - breed standard is 12, I've had 14 before - but never 16 ! This trait would likely be passed to his female offspring - all good for getting litter numbers up.
He is plain brown in colour (though with the last litter some of the brown piglets ended up with gold tips to their bristles) but still a very handsome little boar none the less  ;)

His older brother "Son of Syd" from 2 litters ago, was placed second in the Kune class at Lesmahagow show and has fathered several good litters - every piglet born had 2 piris and good, sound underlines - and the little guy was only 5 or 6 months old when he became fully fertile. SoS is small but deadly when it comes to fertility  :thumbsup:

This will be the last boar from the Yonderton Te-Whangi bloodline as we've changed boars to another line (but would like the legacy of Syd to continue)

We're asking £125 for him and he'll be registered, tagged, wormed, erisepilas vaccinated and generally spoilt and pampered before he leaves us.

Any questions, fire away !
Thanks,
Karen  :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Kune Kune boar - super breeding quality piglet - Lanark
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:04:05 am »
Can you deliver?----to Devon ::) Seriously, if I could think of a way to get him here I would be very interested.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:33:42 am »
i may have someone interested too but thinking that because your boar is brucklay and their pigs mother is a brucklay......too close in line?

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:58:24 am »
 :DSylvia :D
Devon is maybe a wee bit far  ;)  I'm limited to 8 hours travelling with pigs - could do a 'meet in the middle' if you want ? But petrol costs would make him a very expensive wee boy :-\

Alison, the Brucklay bit refers to where they were bred  ;) My boar's Dad was Brucklay - this boar's a Yonderton Te-Whangi. It would depend how many pigs and what the bloodlines are at Brucklay - but you'd need to see the pedigree (or scan it and email it to me) to see what the connections were. Some KK breeders breed very close within the bloodlines (you get the very best, but also the very worst - so have to be prepared to cull piglets  :() some (like me) prefer a bit of distance.
HTH
Karen  :-*

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:58:46 am »
karen, yes i understand its where they are breed but if both have parents coming from Brucklay i have a feeling they would be too closely related for my liking too.  will forward you the pedigree, its for a new owner of my piglets so maybe a bit soon for them but i said i would keep my ears open for a young boar!

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:10:46 pm »
I'd be very interested in him too, Karen.  I want to part with my Tamworth and breed pure Kune Kunes instead. 

Could he be kept with my 9 week old weaners or would they eat him ?!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 06:31:15 pm »
No worries Alison, you know where I am  :)

He should be alright with them Jane, you'd need to keep the boars seperately in case they bullied him, but the gilts are fine after a day or so usually. He'll be 10-12 weeks before he's ready to go (got to have time to do both lots of ery jabs & the wormer) and he's a stonker now, yours are only 6 weeks ahead of him so I think he'd be able to hold his own by the time he leaves us.

I'll try to get up and take some good photo's tomorrow because I realise looks are important too  ;) :D

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:27 am »
Do I understand correctly, Karen; I should separate out the gilts from the boars pretty soon - which I was going to do, - and then a new boar could go in the 5 acres with the other boars ?

Jane

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 11:43:18 am »
I've pm'd you Jane  :wave:

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:06:30 pm »
Thanks Karen  :wave:  Definitely not interested in the top quality one; I'll await a photo of the other one, as I won't be breeding pure breds.

Jane

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »
This is a quick photo - now, it could very well be a gilt in this photo  :-\ but they all look kinda the same (and don't stay still enough to get their photo's taken  ::))

I'll get better ones when the kids are back at school and I'm able to spend more time up there  ;) :thumbsup:

Edit - the bottom photo is a gilt and she's got a home already  ;) but it shows you the colour & face.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:42:02 pm by HappyHippy »

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:01:29 am »
Thanks Karen - great looking piglets  :-*  I'll let you know shortly.  :wave: Jane

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »
HI have u any older bpoars available thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
Hi Balloch,

I'm afraid I've no older one's for sale (I do have a 'stud' boar if your gilt/sow wants to visit though  ;))
The piglet's older brother was 'working' (unbeknown to his owner) at just over 4 months old though - so you'd not have that long to wait if you bought a young one :thumbsup:

While I'm on this thread anyway, I just need to add that despite a lot of interest initially this wee guy is still available, but only for another week, as castration day is approaching - if anyone wants him let me know asap please to save his gonads  ;D

mgb2010

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »
We are looking for a registered male youngster to ship to Shetland.

I don't suppose your travels will take you near aberdeen harbour? I think it would be too far for a one off journey.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS