Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wiltshire Horn ewe lambs - changing tags?  (Read 3753 times)

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
Wiltshire Horn ewe lambs - changing tags?
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:05:34 pm »
We keep Wiltshire Horn and last year we slaughtered all the lambs (there were only 4) - this year we had 12 lambs and all were ewe lambs.  They currently have slaughter batch tags in - 3 have already gone, but I was wondering if it's possible to change our minds and get them electronically tagged instead and maybe sell them on for breeding next year - does anyone know if this is possible and if it is expensive / complicated??  This is probably a very basic question, but it would be really good to get some advice.

Thanks,
Tam
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:10:21 pm by Tam »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Wiltshire Horn ewe lambs - changing tags?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »
I would have thought if they still on their original holding of birth, then you simply cut out the slaughter tag and replace with EID ones. Just get a batch of EID tags from the same place you bought your slaughter tags from (make sure it uses the same tagger/applicator), then just out them into your register as per usual.

I have so far always EID tagged ALL my lambs, it gives me more freedom to choose when to send them off or if i decide to keep them for flock replacements.

I had a really high ratio of female lambs to male ones this year, not sure why.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:59 pm »
It is only slightly more expensive to EID tag all lambs. I do all mine then there is no need to worry about their ultimate destiny. As Anke has already said, the slaughter tags can be removed and replaced with EID tags as long as the lambs are under 12 months old and are on their holding of birth.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »
Thank you both for replying - that sounds really easy to do - I had it in my head it would be really complicated and expensive!

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »
In your movement book you are also supposed to record the date that the lambs are tagged, just to be annoying!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:20 am »
Or just put the EID tag in the other ear.....

Assuming you only tagged one ear with the slaughter tags. I buy all my tags in pairs and do all of em with the non-EID tag and then tag any that I'm keeping with the second EID tag - it helps me pick them out too.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:11:51 am »
I think I've got this right....slaughter tags should only have the flock number on, the second tag for a breeding sheep should have the same individual number on as the electronic tag.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:12 pm »
It doesn't hurt if the slaughter tags have both - when you buy EID tags, you get two, an electronic one and a non electronic one. Both have the same info printed on em.  Just use the non-eid one as a slaughter tag. I can tell ata glance them which I have decided to retain for whatever reason, because they have two tags.

(Nb - this does not work if you are planing to keep them longer than 12mos)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS