Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas please  (Read 4570 times)

Bioman

Ideas please
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »
hi guys,

I have 4 cross bred pigs who are approaching slaughter weight, living outside.

My question is what do other people who keep pigs outside do to stop their ground becoming a quagmire?

if there isn't one I'll be fine but would be interested in any ideas  :D
Thank you!

P.s. concrete is not an option for me at the moment

robert waddell

Re: Ideas please
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:42:37 pm »
you don't say where in Britain you are           this year has been particularly wet and slobbery even the grass fields are like a peat bog walking over them and that is clay based soils      concrete or bring them inside is the only option      there is no magic wand for this :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:42 pm »
mine run thru the woods and it doesnt seem to get too bad, the more space the better.
the ones that were in a little paddock poached it very badly so we sacrificed our grass paddock and will roll it and reseed it in the spring - it needed doing anyway! ::)
next year we will fence off more woods for them as they prefer to root the grassland than the woodland and quickly turn it to a mess.
we did finish 3 porkers inside once, they had a stable and adjoining yard.
if u dont have spare land to use, then consider the seasons you will be finishing them, maybe avoid winter.
as for the pigs u have now - pray for frost, that stops them sinking so deep...lol    :wave: ;D

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »
Hi Bioman

Have a scroll down the Pig Forum, I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago as my pigs are living in a swamp too, you will find quie a lot good advice and ideas.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »
Bioman,  I posted it on Dec 01 titled Pigs, Mud and Straw

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:26 pm »
my field is a complete quagmire lol we resorted to putting a hard standing area and put the arks on there to keep them out of the mud.  We have no barn or anything and they live out all the time and just have arks.  They root and mess about during the day and when it's feeding time they come to the hard standing.  They have as much haylage as they can eat to keep them occupied and for once i'm praying for ice so the field solids up a bit :)

Bioman

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:31:48 pm »
you don't say where in Britain you are           this year has been particularly wet and slobbery even the grass fields are like a peat bog walking over them and that is clay based soils      concrete or bring them inside is the only option      there is no magic wand for this :farmer:

I live in the East Devon and we've been in drought all year. We had a fab summer. No idea what you are talking about!! Our ground until about 2/3 weeks ago was rock hard for the first 10 inches down. Now after 2 weeks of terrential rain, its not too bad luckily they'll be gone on the 9th of Jan so not too long left on there.

Thank you!!

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »
bioman   you are very lucky we have had the wet from may with no respite even the sheep have had to be brought inside it is to wet for them :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:25:53 am »
If you're gonna rotivate or plough the field fling some old straw down (we always have a grotty bale or two left over from the previous year) put it mainly down in heavy traffic areas, front of house near gate and where they feed. It helps soak up the mud, rots down and fertilises. Ours are all in but like Robert we've had a fair bit of rain and all the paddocks are bogging, glad my fatties have gone and we've brought everyonelese into the yards, yahoo no more sucked off wellies
Mandy  :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:19:10 pm »
Maybe try Cul Noir  ;D - this French breed don't seem to like the rain.
We too had dry hard ground up until 2 weeks ago but it seems to have rained non stop since then. The pigs don't like the rain or wind and stay inside most of the time.
Seriously - I really don't think they like the rain. When it was hot and they were young we made a mud puddle which they played in a couple of days - otherwise they don't go into the paddock that they had rotorvated. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:05:26 pm »
I lied  :-\ the only time they venture off the hard standing is to drink (fresh water source)  :pig: other than that they stay put and munch haylage.  It's ok for us cos all we do is a quick poo scrape and hooft it onto the field to mulch down ready for spring and ploughing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 04:50:01 pm »
The commercial places who keep sows outside put rings in the sows noses to stop them rooting so stopping so much of the trouble with mud. kind of defeats the joy of pigs though!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:03:26 pm »
mine are still rooting thru all this frost, must surely hurt their noses!

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 07:56:58 pm »
I wanted them to distroy the ground tbh as we need to work it next spring.  They've done a fab job of turning it and pooing everywhere :) we're going to pen them in and get the field ploughed to turn the reeds over and then the piggies will eat the roots like the did on a test patch we did.  Really looking forward to the work now

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS