Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sources of flour  (Read 6677 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Sources of flour
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:04:44 pm »
This isn't a recipe, but it seemed to make sense to place it here. Let me know if it should have gone elsewhere so I'll know in future.

I started making my own bread a few years ago, but found the process placed too much stress on my spine, so bought a bread maker which I love. But, it's made me lazy, so last week I decided to use a standard recipe (the one from Delia's complete how to cook) and test different flours to see how they affected the result. Initial mixing and proving in the bread machine and the rest by hand.

So far Allison's very strong white flour is in the lead above their strong white and Hovis' strong white. It's really not cheap buying 1.5kg at a time from a supermarket though. Does anyone know of a local (to Central Scotland) source of either a reasonably sized sack of branded very strong white bread flour or, what I'd prefer, a local mill who will sell to me directly?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:09:18 pm by cmorrell »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sources of flour
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:58:37 pm »
Didn't want to read and run, but can't help unfortunately.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 08:30:02 pm »
Thanks for confirming at least. I've not been having much luck with google to date and a couple of friends who go to great lengths to ensure their clothing is ethically produced, food organic and beer made in a local micro-brewery (in Alloa? I forget...) have looked at me like I was insane when I asked if they knew of a local independent mill!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:13 pm »
I wish I knew of one! Same as for diary farms you can buy milk from - can't find any...
Best option for me with flours is Green City Wholefoods. You might find a food coop in your area you can link up with.
:&>

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:19:33 am »
I know how everyone on here loves the supermarket that starts with a 'T' but I have found their own brand strong bread flour to give the best results so far and it is 1/2 the price of the recognised brands, Hovis etc.        ;)

I would also love to try a local supplier / Mill so will follow this link with interest.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:33 pm »
If you buy "Bread Flour" or any of the mixes for that purpose - do check the label on the packet. Most of them contain additives, which might be the reason for good results, but you possibly don't want those. I buy no flour which has anything other than Ascorbic Acid added (Vitamin C). All bought bread is made from these enhanced flours by the way, unless it's from an organic bakery. :&>

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:35 pm »
Found some today which was milled in Fife.  It was for sale in Dobbies Garden Centre but it was £2.40 for a kilo....... :(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
of all places...did you buy it or remember the name/location of the mill?
Have a look on April 15th and 21st, lol:
http://fifediet.co.uk/

:&>
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:51:09 pm by northfifeduckling »

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 05:04:32 pm »
I'm a member of an aberdeenshire food co-operative, and I tend to take a trip up there every few months to stock up on basics.

I buy 25kg sacks of organic bread flour, which I find works well in both my breadmaker and using the dough-hook on my kitchenAid mixer.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »
do you get a problem with flour bugs at all?

I my old house i had a big probe with them could never figure out where they came from
so endedup storing all my flour in the freezer untill i want to use it . (if i remember before uses i take it out a couple of hours before i uses it or i get place it near the oven when it is heating up

with  a 25kg i dought it would be possible to put it in the freezer lol

Linz
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:04:19 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 06:14:22 pm »
I just store it in the bag is comes in... have to say, i've never had any so far that has had wee beasties in it  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS