Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goatling developing udder  (Read 1636 times)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Goatling developing udder
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:47:55 am »
My goatling was mated on 20th November and - fingers crossed - appears to be pregnant as she missed coming into season last weekend.  I put her in the milking stand every morning for her feed so she will be used to the process when I want to milk her and, while she eats, I brush her and check her over.

Before she was mated she had begun to develop an udder but only on her right side.  She had cloudburst in October so I initially thought that might have triggered it.  This is not hard or hot but is clearly tender as she is very touchy about me handling it even gently although she does not object to any other area being touched.  Her left side is still practically non-existent.

Is this normal?  Will it subside once the pregnancy advances until it is time to make an udder prior to kidding?  Should I do anything - other than ring vet if it gets hot/hard/red?

My milker is from the same doe although a different sire and she has an uneven udder - is this an inherited tendency ?

Lots of question marks, sorry.  Any advice welcome!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goatling developing udder
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
I would slowly (over a week) reduce her concentrate feed to absolute nothing, and only give a a god handfull of sugarbeet shreds plus some fruit at lunchtime. Hay ad-lib obviously. In the first three months no significant foetal growth happens and an over-fat goatling is more likely to develop pregnancy toxeamia. That will also help to reduce her udder. Not sure about any possible connection with the cloudburst, I never had one of those (yet).

My goatlings and the kids actually too had wee udders in the summer, but all gone now.

I am also not sure about uneven udders being hereditary, but one of my milker has an uneven udder as a result of subclinical mastitis a couple of times in the summer. Not sure if it will even out next lactation. I'll see I guess.

Sorry not much help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS