Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccinations, wormers etc  (Read 3714 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
vaccinations, wormers etc
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:11 am »
When I got my goats, I thought (foolishly) that I knew exactly what to do with them re vaccinations etc.  I had spoken to my vet who assured me they were experienced in goats etc.  Turns out thats not the case and they are constantly looking to me for advice on what the girls need.  Just wanted to ask you fine folks if you could let me know what you use, when and what your yearly schedule is?  My eldest girl has just come back from a stay at the Billy and is hopefully in kid whilst the youngest is not quite there yet.  There are sheep in the field next to them at times and they can also come into contact with our Shetland cow, our chickens and when we have them, our pigs - not sure if thats overly relevant but thought I'd add it anyway.  As its my first year with them, I am constantly doubting my own knowledge.  I'd appreciate any help.
Melanie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: vaccinations, wormers etc
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:42:45 pm »
Hi Melanie,

re vaccinations: the only thing to know is that goats need a 6 monthly booster for clostridial diseases (sheep are annual), so usually one just before mating /autumn and another one 4 weeks before kidding, so that the immunity can be passed in the colostrum to the kid(s). I use Lambivac, but others use Heptavac P+. I have one bottle of Lambivac in the fridge with the seal taped up and use a fresh needle for every injection. As my goats kid quite far apart and I know the kidding date I do them individually for the spring shot, all together for the autumn one. 2ml each time, under the skin. Best done while they are munching something special on the milking stand. Kids should receive an intial dose of 2 x 2ml vaccine at 4 - 6 weeks apart to develop immunity, and I normally do mine when they are about 2 months old, as their immunity from the colostrum will by then be wearing off. If switching from Heptavac to Lambivac or vice versa an initial double dose is needed.

worms: I routinely worm my goats soon after kidding, atm with yellow wormer. Then a worm count at 10 days post worming to establish if it has done the trick, if not use an alternative wormer on vet's advice. I also find that a second flush of worms is present on my field in June, so I now keep them inside for that period. Any sign of loose droppings, rough coat and fall in milk yield another worm count done quickly (I can deliver mine just to SAC down the road, so it is usualy a same day service). Normally would also do a worm count in autumn, but this year all of mine seem to be looking very well and droppings look a´what the should do. So left it. I also feed garlic daily, it doesn't tain the milk.

Cows and goats can share the same field - they have different worms. Goats and sheep shouldn't share, as they have the same kind of worms, and goats are more affected by them than sheep are. If you buy in (bottle)lambs fresh after lambing they should be ok as they will not have been out to grazing, and so don't carry any worms. if you plan to buy sheep I would worm them with an ivermectin on leaving the seller's premises and then have them in isolation for a few days until all the worms have come out. Once the sheep worm counts are clean you should in theory be able to mix them with the goats, but I wouldn't if at all possible.

When you get your first few worm counts done for the goats ask for fluke counts as well, just so that you know if your goat field carries them, if yes you will have to trea the goats with Fasinex too.  (and any sheep of course).

CAE testing: Is done anually by blood sample taken from the neck. I take the animals down to the vets for it. Vets send it off to SAC. Kids are covered on their dams certifictae until they are 1 year old. Was recently given the advice to take all my females pre-kidding for the CAE test, so if one dies during kidding the kids are still covered and can be shown/sold with the certficate of the dam. Certificate needed for mating too.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:43:20 am »
Thanks Anke, Arabella has been to the Billy and we're hoping she is pregnant.  Should I worm etc now then just prior to kidding then?  I appreciate your help.
Melanie x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:24:57 pm »
For some reason goats seem to be not having problems with worms during pregnancy, but immediately after kidding their resistance just drops. If their droppings look fine at the moment (and they are inside most of the time I guess), I would wait until just after kidding.

Where did Arabella go for mating? Guildy Den? I used one of theirs for one of my other BT milkers.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:55:30 am »
Their dropping are looking fine and they are indoors now because it is so cold.  Yeah she went to Guildyden, Gordon was very helpful.  She will be getting scanned in a few weeks I think so we'll know for sure then.  Very exciting.  Thanks again x

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS