Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How heavy are yours....?  (Read 2263 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
How heavy are yours....?
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »
We ave weighed our goats today in our new sheep weighing crate.

Interesting results:

Big BT type girl is the heaviest at 79 kgs, then my new BT milker comes in at 73kgs, and interestingly my BT goatling and the the BT kid weigh almost the same at 56kgs and 58kgs respectively.... either the kid is going to be massive or my goatling will stay quite small. They are out of the same dam (my big BT type girl), but different fathers.

My GG's are quite small compared, they are both 46 and 48 kgs. From girth measurements I had the G's quite a bit heavier, whereas the BT's are very similar. That was surprising.

And the wee (bought-in) GG id is only 27kgs (but her dam nearly died when giving birth and she then did not milk too well), but I think she will be coming on in the spring.

anyone else weighs their goats?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: How heavy are yours....?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:40:21 am »
We weigh ours for worming  just to make sure we get the dosage right , Our BS nannies are big girls too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:23:43 am by tizaala »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:03:33 am »
We weighed the goat kids at the vets when they were 6 months old - 30kg. So from that I'd guess my goatling weighs 40-45 and Ellie, my full grown milker 45-50. But those other two are just guesses. I'd like to know but don't have any sheep scales and they are too big to pick up and stand on the human scales  :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »
Well I put (goat) kids and lambs into a bag and quickly weigh on my hanging scales for the first few weeks.

We did the "pick up the lamb and step onto human scales" for the first couple of years, but OH is complaining he isn't getting any younger and as we are using a texel tup this atumn he doesn't fancy picking up 40oddkgs of lamb and balancing it on his shoulder.... so sheep scales it was.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:00:09 am »
Well I put (goat) kids and lambs into a bag and quickly weigh on my hanging scales for the first few weeks.

We did the "pick up the lamb and step onto human scales" for the first couple of years, but OH is complaining he isn't getting any younger and as we are using a texel tup this atumn he doesn't fancy picking up 40oddkgs of lamb and balancing it on his shoulder.... so sheep scales it was.

;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS