Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: KUNES  (Read 2040 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
KUNES
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »
i HAVE 3 CASTRATED kune kunes and 5 completes all 5 months old, the 3 castrated  are bigger than the completes even though ive been told castrated stunts growth.(they may be a month older).... i have to decide which to kill first in about march, if i keep the castrated longer due to no boar taint how big can i expect to get them to.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: KUNES
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:56:23 am »
From what i've read the entires will be ok for a bit longer as long as there are no gilts/sows close by.  I might be wrong :) i've got a castrate and he seems to have stopped growing and is smaller than my 9 month old gilt lol he's just a pet tho so i'm not bothered about his growth.

BUT i've got a KK litter and all of the boys were castrated within the first week of birth and they are the same size as the sisters.  I don't profess to know much and i'm still very much learning :)

chickenfeed

Re: KUNES
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:23:43 am »
 :wave: our castrate is the same size as his litter mates.

we took our last kk boars to 8-9 months and made them into sausage and burgers, the 3 we have atm will be our last kk's they will also go for sausages too.

i say these will be the last kk's because killing & cutting costs are the same price regardless of the size of the pig and our slaughterhouses really dont like killing kk's as they say they are too small, too fat and too hairy in the words of 1 of them not worth their time  ::) (but i have talked 1 out of the 3 slaugther houses to kill them).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS