Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kunes  (Read 7282 times)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Kune Kunes
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »
Hi, All,

We're looking to get some pigs in the Spring. Because neither of us have had pigs before and are a bit scared of big pigs, I thought of starting with KKs until we are more confident. Am I right that you can send them for meat the same as other breeds? My husband has the idea that they are only for pets but I'm sure I've read otherwise.
Are they usually good-tempered?
Thanks for any advice

Katie

robert waddell

Re: Kune Kunes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »
yes you can eat them       some would say they should all be eaten      you have to remember that they are pigs and can just be as dangerous as large pigs      don't let them rule you :farmer:

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:16:46 pm »
We have kune's although we keep them as pets rather than food.. We have Osb's for the table..

They are great characters and are grazers.. So if you have a paddock then great .. They don't do as much damage as the conventional pig.. .

HTH Greg

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »
Katie,

If you are bringing up pigs for food, you will be taking them to slaughter when they are about 6-8 months old.  At this age, they will be around knee height and weigh somehere around 60-80 kilo's, so about the same as an average human (12 stone ish) - so imagine a human down on all fours!.

Unless treated badly (and obviously you won't be doing that!), pigs are gentle and friendly animals, and the in general terms the most risk you are under is being pushed over into the mud by a pig rubbing its ears on your leg, or enthusiastically arriving for supper! 

So do go for a Kune Kune if you want to, but don't limit your choice on size reasons, all the "rare breed" pigs and rarebreed crosses will be good compnay and make cracking eating !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
we have kunes, just had three slaughtered and they are absolutely delicious! 
BUT they take a lot longer to mature, so if you want pigs to practice on, great.
 But if you want a quicker turnaround on the meat maybe go for crosses or another rare breed.

Little Blue

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 07:51:30 pm »
its my first time with pigs...got 8 kunes, best thing i did as the mistakes ive made arent to much problem ie escaping, damaging housing and fencing, wont have wanted a big pig, dont want them next time either, may stay with KKs.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »
if u are sending them away at 6 mths even tammies arent that big. we sent ours away at approx 85kg liveweight tho their mum is 240kg.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:37:00 pm »
if u are sending them away at 6 mths even tammies arent that big. we sent ours away at approx 85kg liveweight tho their mum is 240kg.

Well that's what I was wondering.  I thought we all sent the porkers off at the same size, around 60-80kg?  KKs take longer to get to that size, is all.  If they're for pork it kind of doesn't matter if they're a large breed or small - you'll grow them to pork weight and then send them away.  If you were going to keep them on for breeders then the size of the breed would make a difference, of course.

Or am I being a dimwit  :dunce: and missing something?  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:49:42 am »
I've got a herd of Kunes and they are for meat.  I've slaughered 12 so far and they've been fairly young as i needed to get shot of them.  The meat is lovely in my exp but mine are free range and they live out ont he field with arks.  They are friendly pigs and very affectionate :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 08:37:31 am »
I haven't eaten any of my Kunes yet but can assure you that they are very easy to keep, very gentle and docile. If anyone my way has a bit of Kune meat I could buy, I would love to taste it :)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »
Kate, you will probably collect your little piggies at 8-10 weeks old, as the pig will grow up with you I promise the larger breeds are more daft, you will get to know all there silly little habits and you are responsible for teaching them  manners.  I had 10 KK X GOS and found them harder work than any of my bigger pigs or my big GOS boar because they are so small, once they get going they are like speedy little ants darting off in all directions, they do make the funniest grunts when are not happy if they are disturbed by another pig whilst still eating the noise is really funny ;D.  Good luck with whatever breed you go for.  Sarah.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:23:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice everybody. I love the idea of 'speedy little ants', Sarah!
Yes, of course you're right about them getting to the porker weight, I suppose I was thinking that we'd get to know them better as they grew more slowly....or something! I love the look of KKs but maybe we'll just jump in with a bigger breed. We must stop procrastinating and DO something! 

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
Oxford Sandy and Blacks....... ;D

Great escape artists... Unless you go for the biggest electric fence this side of Fort Knox.. ;)

Greg

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 10:22:40 pm »
Oxford Sandy and Blacks....... ;D

Great escape artists... Unless you go for the biggest electric fence this side of Fort Knox.. ;)

I am coming to the conclusion that it's about how they were reared to weaner stage and what space and forage you can give them.

My two OSBs really weren't too bad on the escaping front - as long as a rootling nose hits barbed wire at the fenceline, they'll go rootle elsewhere. 

The three remaining homebred saddlebacks, however ... have been used to going wherever they want and don't seem to 'get' fences at all!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:17 am »
OSB's are more inquisitive and livelier than say Saddlebacks in my experience, however we quite happily keep a number behind a single strand on white electric tape (once trained to it).
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS