Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can Santa bring the boys?  (Read 4014 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
What can Santa bring the boys?
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:54:20 pm »
Every year, all the animals in the house get a pressie at Christmas. The cats get a tin of Tuna, the chooks some lovely treats, but Im at a loss at what to get Billy and Toby. They dont eat anything other than their biscuits (pellets) and hay. They turn their noses up at everything else I try them with including apples and veggies etc. Even ordinary digestives, they just dont want to know. They've both got new collars and leads, so no joy there. Anyone got any ideas? Do you buy your goats pressies?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: What can Santa bring the boys?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:27:04 pm »
sultanas?
custard creams or rich tea?
bananas?
cream crackers?

all treats that go down well here!

or holly & ivy.... 
;)
Little Blue

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »
They surely dont eat holly do they? All those sharp leaves. Ive got tons and tons of the stuff up in our top field. As to ivy, they've tried to climb our wall to prise it from the side of the house, I dont think Ive got anymore though. Ive tried banana, and our biscuits are different over here, however we have just discovered superb shortbread in Aldi, so perhaps Ill try them with one of them for a special treat! (I dont really want Toby to get much fatter!)

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 07:32:09 pm »
what about a nice engraved swiss bell for their collars. all ours wear pink (breast cancer charity) collars - billies included. i have a bell , just need to engrave it!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:51:08 pm »
Ivy - never met a goat who didn't eat it  :) Is there a wood nearby with some?

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:18:45 pm »
Ivy - never met a goat who didn't eat it  :) Is there a wood nearby with some?
how do u know what types of ivy u can feed? our vet said they cant eat poison ivy.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »
Oh, I'm sure they can't eat poison ivy!
Hedera helix, common ivy in England, is ok in small quantities, ie a strand or two, and they love it. Any more and it becomes poisonous (as do many good things in excess  ;))

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:55 pm »
are there quite a few types of ivy? we seem to have different types and diff shade of green, i have no idea what types they are but they are all "ivy" shaped.
we lost a rabbit to eating ivy many years ago, was very sad. he only had a mouthful.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:00:34 am »
My girls are getting a cabbage or two hanging up in their yard - or in the shed if it's wet.

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 08:56:48 am »
What about some dried apple rings, the bag I bought from the feed merchant is quite sticky. My Anglo Nubians and pygmys enjoy their little treat at supper time.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 07:17:03 pm »
My girls are getting a cabbage or two hanging up in their yard - or in the shed if it's wet.

Ooh I love this idea. I could suspend it from the ceiling of their house, then if they dont want to eat it, they can head it instead!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »

Ooh I love this idea. I could suspend it from the ceiling of their house, then if they dont want to eat it, they can head it instead!

or even head it for a while, then eat it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS