Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wee foalie!  (Read 2990 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
wee foalie!
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:08:18 pm »
Born yesterday and despite 48 hours on foaling watch I missed when I went to satisfy my 3am munchies. Mare wasn't even showing signs of stage 1 never mind stage 2.

Its a filly so don't have to be horrible and 'do his bits'.

I could spend all day watching them in the field, but must get on and do some work....
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: wee foalie!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:10:52 pm »
Cute!!   ;D

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »
ad up and out today.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

HallePalomino

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Forth Valley, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »
ad up and out today.

And already dancing on the ceiling!

What a gorgeous wee foal, I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off them either!!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:10:00 pm »
 :thumbsup: always so relieved to get a filly haha totally sexist but I just love mares, very rarely have I ever had a gelding! she's a beaut!

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:29:49 pm »
oops. problem with camera phones, theres no 'right way up'.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:52:11 pm »
have you got a name for her,

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:54 am »
Wow she is very pretty  :love:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:10:40 am »
Know what you mean about them catching you despite consistent foalwatching - they wait til I've just walked away and the tail goes up, feet come out and all systems go!  I've got a bit sneaky over the years, foalcam watching or other tactics to sneak back unexpectedly and it is something of a game with one or two of them now, I'm sure  ;)

Still worth it all when you get a healthy foal up and running tho, whatever names you grumble at the time  :D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:40 am »
Very beautiful!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:40 am »
Foalcam is a good idea, more people should use it! There are some very inexpensive versions available now! It doesnt matter how much the mare is bonded to you or how much she "loves" you she just wants to be alone when she foals. This is a strong natural instinct for them, in the wild they separate from the herd and in a domestic situation they separate from us. Its very tempting to try and help but really this is best avoided unless she or the foal really need it. The mare can delay the birth which is why they so often wait for their owner/carere to go and have that cup of coffee or quick nap! They are clever beasties! Not so much that you just happened to miss it, she had it all planned :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS