Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox??  (Read 3672 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Fox??
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:46:16 am »
Went out this morning to find something had been at the chickens. It had managed to open one of the pens which are made out of heras fence panels, the birds were out and 4 were missing. There were some piles of feathers on the grass a little way from the pens where dinner had been consumed. I assumed a fox had visited. The I went to check the adjacent pens and found a dead, half eaten rhodie inside their pen. What's puzzling me is that there's no sign of anything having got in there. All shut up tight, no sign of digging under, and this pen is netted over the top as we've had a problem with starlings stealing the feed. I'm now wondering if it was a fox or maybe a weasel, polecat or similar that was able to get through the mesh. Unfortunately it had rained really heavily so there were no footprints left when I got there. Bloody pissed off I have to say.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Fox??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:54:28 am »
It is awful to find your birds dead.
It sounds more like a pole cat or similar as a fox would normally masacre all in the pen. I had a fox take out all my geese 3 weeks before xmas one year and left nearly all and just took 2.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:02:23 am »
That's what I'm thinking. Going to beef up security this afternoon as no doubt the b*****d will be back.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
could it of been a badger? if fence looks to be ripped it may be a badger there quite forceful

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:01 pm »
We,ve never seen badgers around our place but could be I spose. Found a pile of feathers in the middle of an empty pig pen this afternoon. Very muddy ground but no footprints at all. Also followed a trail of feathers over the boundary wall into a large overgrown garden next door. I'm thinking cat, dog maybe, then remains left behind finished off by a buzzard? If it was a fox he hasn't left a footprint anywhere.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:33:33 pm »
Oh hughesy I feel for you  :bouquet:

It's horrid when, however hard we try, we can't protect our birds.  I hope you find out what is taking them and manage to trap or discourage it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:08 pm »
My Pigs and chickens all get on very well so if 1 chicken is being naughty and not wanting to come in at bed time then they go in the pig arks with the pigs they are safe in there as most animals won't go near pigs. It is awful though I now, my problem is Buzzards they will come down and snatch a chicken doesn't matter the size of the chickens a fully grown Buzzard would snatch one easily.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »
my problem is Buzzards they will come down and snatch a chicken doesn't matter the size of the chickens a fully grown Buzzard would snatch one easily.
I'm surprised if buzzards are taking healthy full-grown chickens; more likely to be a goshawk I would think?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »
"Oh God" don't tell me that, I will have to have a friend of mine round who has a bird of pray that he works to try and thin the birds down by me, the black birds are enormous I saw a black birds chase my cat along the fence this morning cheeky bugger.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »
Could it be Ravens? we have them snatch our new born lambs they don't carry them off just pull them away a few yards from the mother then peck out eyes and tongues. a chicken would be no problem.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 02:45:59 pm »
Yes that is a good possibility there beecks are massive and noisy I confess I throw stones at them don't hit many but it makes me feel good :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »
No further problems today everything safe and sound. Hoping the electrified strand of wire around the pens will keep the bugger out whatever it was.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:54:19 pm »
seen a fox round the chicken run yester day
checked batterys & fence seems all ok first time seen a fox in field

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS