Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woodland & Forestry  (Read 5376 times)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Woodland & Forestry
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:18:44 am »
Have been listening to BBC Radio 4, Farming Today, this week covering the subject of "woodlands and forests" encouraging land owners to look at growing more trees. I found it an interesting subject but left me with more questions than answers. Maybe the program was aimed at folk who already know what they are doing  :dunce: moi ?
Reason I bring this up is;- There is an area of land at the bottom of one of the fields that I am using that is sloping the opposite way and has a coppice covering a part of it. Now I have got a 'blue sky idea' to expand the woodland area and manage the trees already on there. But I get the impression that unless ones woodland covers a massive area , as yet unspecified?  There is nothing in it apart from saying a "Haven't I got a nice wood".
On a serious note, last summer when my acre of spuds where in full growth there was an unusual array of birds and wildlife, particular at early morning. Were these birds (many I suspect migratory) living in the coppice, I do not know?  I know a couple of serious Bird Watchers who have agreed to come an watch next season.
I would like to expand the woodland with more trees. All the logs I am burning this winter came from this area .
Any suggestions out there ?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Woodland & Forestry
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:30:46 am »
Hi - I have not researched this but it seems that all the locals here grow sweet chestnuts. They cut the tree quite young and this promotes several side shoots - these grow as very tall near vertical trees. When cut they aresold as fence posts and fire wood. I live in a hamlet with just 3 neighbours. All ladies over 80 and each with a wood or copse. I have cut many of the chestnut poles that are dead ( dry) and vertical but should really clear a few areas of fallen wood and continue the cutting as their husbands must have. Chestnuts seem to self set well as there are many young trees too.
Maybe you can see how quick chestnut grows and the return you would get.
I am keeping out of the copses today as the local hunt killed 3 people last year and I have heard shooting this morning.
I'll watch your thread in case anyone can advise about caring for chestnut and growing rates.
Cheers Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:37 am »
I am keeping out of the copses today as the local hunt killed 3 people last year and I have heard shooting this morning.
OMG ! Really ? Where are you MAK - that's seriously scary  :o

Odin, I'd give your nearest forrestry commision officer a phone and ask about grants for planting in your area - they'll be able to keep you right  :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:54:15 am »
OMG ! Really ? Where are you MAK - that's seriously scary  :o

Odin, I'd give your nearest forrestry commision officer a phone and ask about grants for planting in your area - they'll be able to keep you right  :thumbsup:
That can't be the UK surely?  They don't even let dogs hunt the foxes let alone guns kill followers! ::) Ah, just looked, you're in France so that explains it.  I have French gundogs, but I wouldn't take any of my dogs on a French shoot - they are MAD! 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:56:08 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:49:10 pm »
chestnuts very useful timber because it is strong lenghtwise,its used for scaffold boards, however it doesnt burn well, requiring 3 or more dry years to season.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:28 pm »
We are currently in the process of planting 2.25 Hectares of woodland in Wales on our smallholding. When we moved here we though that there could be no better legacy than to plant a native wood for future generations (not to mention reduce our carbon footprint). We are also hoping that this will provide habitat for wildlife. We are doing this on the steepest part of the land that is difficult to get a tractor on. The tree mix is 50% Ash, 20% Oak, 10% hazel, 10% Bird Cherry and 10% Field maple.

There are grants available in Wales and England (but the schemes differ)

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/ewgs

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-5Z8JQK

The process has been a tad bureaucratic but probably down to us not understanding the system too well. The grant (and I can only speak for Wales) covers pretty much all the planting costs and about half the fencing costs. In addition the grant pays a sum for maintaining the land for 3 years together with a Woodland creation premium that is paid for 15 years.

Our contractor currently has 2 guys planting this week and they intend to plant 3600 trees in about 3 days on steep land (rather them than me).

Once I have some photos I'll put them on our blog (see our web link ).

Edit: Some photos of the planting now online here

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/planting-our-new-wood-in-wales/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:55:06 pm by henchard »

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:26 am »
Thought I would share this info'
My niece in Cambridgeshire has investigated a tree planting scheme as detailed above. She is getting a few hundred trees planted and will plant an orchard area too. Anyway - it seems she needs to bank up some of the land around the wood area and she has discovered that she gets paid for taking soil from building sites etc . She has had 10 lorry loads and a nice cheque so far - but her plans require tonnes of the stuff. The banks will encourage wildlife of course but the income from the lorry tipping will be significant. Even better if she ends up selling it all back to the same company as topsoil. It seems they clear land for building but then need top soil when the building is finished and they need soil for gardens etc.
I am not sure of my facts but think she will get £70 a lorry load!!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS