Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac P - fridge life  (Read 7310 times)

Advertisement

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Heptavac P - fridge life
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:03:42 pm »
Up till now my lovely vet has drawn 2 syringes up for me for my 2 goats and off I've gone and done the deed. This time though I have an bottle of the stuff, 50 mls all of my own  ::)
I know I need to use clean needle to draw up and keep entry point of ampule clean etc and as an ex-nurse have no problems injecting but...
how long can heptavacP 'live' in the fridge for?!

will have quite a few more goats come March and there's also 6 sheep mooching about so it won't go to waste but just want to know how long it can stay there for
thanks Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Heptavac P - fridge life
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:19 pm »
Should say on the box / leaflet - I know once Lambivac is opened it says to use it within a certain time - less than a day I think.  Or ask your vet.  It is a false economy vaccinating a goat with something if it has become inactive due to being opened.  This is a nuisance with just a small number of goats - when I vaccinated against blue tongue a few years ago the vet waited until a few smallholder clients needed some together and we all collected it on the same day and split the cost of one vial.  I have enough goats now to warrant buying a full vial of lambivac each time without letting it go to waste - I also plan my vacc regime to cover as many goats as possible.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »
My uhderstanding is it's 8 hours or something like that. I know we make Dad actually gather his sheep so that when we've done ours we can ferry the stuff along the road and he is ready  ;)

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »
I used lambivac and the vet said it would be ok for the next 6 monthly booster but discard after that - i'm hoping he knows what he's talking about  ???

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »
Heptavac 7 in 1 Clostridial vaccine for sheep. Can also be used in pregnant ewes to aid control of the diseases in their lambs provided that the lambs receive sufficient colostrum in the first 1-2 days of life. Dose rate in sheep of all ages 2ml. When starting the Heptavac programme two doses of vaccine must be given 4-6 weeks apart, thereafter a single boost is required annually. Once opened use of the vaccine must be completed the same day. This should be taken into consideration when selecting pack size
Lambivac.........Shelf-life after first opening the container: 10 hours

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:18:48 pm »
I used Heptavac-P on the moorland farm.  Yes it says use the same day but we did use it after longer than this - typically for the booster when doing the initial course.  I don't think I'd rely on it much over a month to six weeks later, though.  I'd be dubious not using it up till March.

That's bad news if you have 25 doses for 2 goats.  :o  Why did the vet stop selling you just a couple of doses? 

Maybe a small-scale neighbour could share with you?  Or another time, would a local farmer let you have the end of his/her bottle when his/her flock is done?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:25:10 am »
I think the vet has been issued new 'guidelines' as everytime he drew me up 2 doses he was having to bin the rest of the ampule unless by some stroke of luck another small scale animal keeper like me came along. so now I have to bin the rest of it  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS