Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unexpected visitor  (Read 1816 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
unexpected visitor
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:40:03 pm »
Went out to shore up a tilting set of chicken coop boards/posts :o and thought one of the moult hens was huddled by the board and the rest had maybe escaped as the door is held by bungees and they're giving a little :o

Went in the pen and the chooks came out of the coop where they'd been hiding - all 8 of them.. the "moult hen" was actually a young buzzard that had got blown in through the flapping roof and got stuck with what appeared a damaged leg too wee soul.. No wonder the chooks went indoors :o

I got him in the cat basket but he was so traumatised I didn't like to do much other than move him to the hay bales in the barn with a better shelter and warmth - and away from the hens ;)  He sat there a while but then flew off - hope the wee chap finds a place to shelter that he feels safe in and that his leg is just bruised but it was just not feasible to take him to a vet, he was way too terrified and I would have been of driving too in this wild weather, so he's taking his chances but hopefully got a chance to take and not residential with chicken carryouts either ::)

When the wind dies down I reckon I may need a new chicken pen or they'll be free range whether I like it or not :(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

HappyHippy

Re: unexpected visitor
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:18:34 pm »
In the bad winds back in May we found a young Gullimot (sp?) that had got blown way off course (we're MILES from the coast !) Poor thing was totally disorientated.
It's really windy here now (Lesmahagow) and worse to come  :-\ Will be glad when Bruce gets back from dropping off some weaners & we can do the evening feed rounds and batten down the hatches  :thumbsup:

Stay safe everyone  :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »
I know they can be a nuisance but they are so beautiful. Hope he makes it :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »
Hope he finds somewhere sheltered to sit out these storms  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS