Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goat  (Read 2459 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Poorly goat
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »
Following a few months of minimal vets bills ... one of my Boer girls Misty is poorly - wasn't there for her dinner on friday - found her in the remains of the copse on a small hill in the field, she was lying on the still warm ashes of a fire (the farmer I rent from has been clearing the copse and burning some of the wood in situ) - she was scouring - very cold day so actually a sensible place to lay as I expect the heat will have helped her tummy.  Now for Misty to miss a meal she must feel rubbish so gave her some "white medicine" from our vets to bung her up, but she was still no better  the next day so brought her home.  Scouring had progressed today so vet came out - diagnosed secondary infection so now have to inject her twice daily with antibiotics and anti - inflammatory (one stings so she shakes her neck alot), drench her with more white medicine and also with rehydration fluid too.  Hope she is better soon as due to kid in about 6 weeks - were due to move her home in a fortnight anyway.  Hope she feels better soon.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Poorly goat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:04:31 pm »
poor girl hope she's better soon
do you know what trees / shrubs were in the copse?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:09:25 pm »
she was lying on the still warm ashes of a fire (the farmer I rent from has been clearing the copse and burning some of the wood in situ) - .

What a sensible goat.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
Mostly elm - had dutch elm disease so being taken down - not sure if she may have eaten mushrooms?? Anyone else know if goats eat mushrooms - need to check field and remove them I think.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »
hope she makes a good recovery in time for kidding. :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS