Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it ok to coil electric fence lead-out cable?  (Read 2971 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Is it ok to coil electric fence lead-out cable?
« on: December 05, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »

OK, one for the electricians!

I have a poultry net on the end of a 50m lead-out cable, but I only need about 15m of it at the moment.

I was thinking of mounting an old steel car wheel on the fence, so I could coil the excess up neatly and get it out of the way. However, at 4000 volts, I wonder if that might actually be a bad idea. For example, might I end up with a giant electromagnet perhaps?

What do you reckon?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

Re: Is it ok to coil electric fence lead-out cable?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:10:43 pm »
cut the lead out cable to suit    simmpiles :farmer:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »

OK, one for the electricians!

I have a poultry net on the end of a 50m lead-out cable, but I only need about 15m of it at the moment.

I was thinking of mounting an old steel car wheel on the fence, so I could coil the excess up neatly and get it out of the way. However, at 4000 volts, I wonder if that might actually be a bad idea. For example, might I end up with a giant electromagnet perhaps?

What do you reckon?

Just leave it loosely zig zagged on the ground giving at least a foot betweeen  any parts of the cable.
I suspect that any coiling would give an induced back EMF due to the pulses of energy which would most likely knock the voltage value down considerably .  Puting it on a spool could give way to heating up& melting the cable insulation  and also even more problems similar to those described above.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:20:20 am »
do not spool it on a metal leave loose  there may be a drop in voltage  but i personally will  not test the fence  i do not like the tickle  the best it to  cut to length  needed   

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:50 am »
It's so expensive we kept the excess on the original cardboard spool next to the generator unit in the shed. Our dimensions are the same as yours. Been like that for 4 years and voltage to net is 8000 as it should be. There may be a magnetic pulse generated with each spark felt in the centre of the coil, which as stated might reduce the output slightly. I certainly would not put it around a metal former, so if your generator is outside you will have to cut the cable, or use a plastic former.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS