Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help ... me goat is eating the shed!!!!  (Read 5019 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Help ... me goat is eating the shed!!!!
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »
As it says, one of my (recently bought) BT milkers has started to chew bits and pieces of our (wooden) shed. She seems to be addicted to it, while on the milking stand she chews the wall, in her pen anywhere she can get her head too.. I can hear her doing it when I am in the garden...

I don't think she lived in a wooden shed before, but not sure about this. She's from a bigger herd than mine.

What can I do? I worry for her teeth, and also the wood is obviously pressure treated with god knows what...!

My OH suggested to put mustard onto the bits she chews... but she may really like that?

princesspiggy

Re: Help ... me goat is eating the shed!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »
for ponies that eat their stable/fencing u can get bitter sticky stuff to wipe on. it does work and is quite weather resistant. there are diff names but Cribox by Hydrophane is good.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:27:43 pm »
Anke - we've had the same problem for 3 years - our goat shed 'outer' was external thick ply but they loved eating/nibbling/tugging it and our only solution is to re-clad the shed in 'straight from the sawmill larch' there's a lot of sap in it and they don't seem to nibble at all - we did a section about 6m to test it out in spring and still perfect in autumn so we are not continuing around the building - best of luck - must admit it faired better than the motor bike seat!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
I've got a goat who chews at the metal barn next to their yard.  Do you think she's anaemic and wants some iron? 

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:08:53 am »
The natural behaviour of a goat is to nibble/strip bark from trees etc for the minerals contained therein as well as the fibre.

Maybe your goats are exhibiting a deficiency in their diets... mineral/vitamin wise... and they are trying to find it.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:37 am »
Mine eat the shed, the chicken houses, the gates, any hurdles they can find......
I try to cut them branches to give them something else to do  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »
Mine eat the shed, the chicken houses, the gates, any hurdles they can find......
I try to cut them branches to give them something else to do  :)

They get loads of branches in the summer, maybe I get some "bare" ones now, just never had the problem, none of my others are doing it and this one is a new(ish) arrival.  Maybe she is a bit bored....

The natural behaviour of a goat is to nibble/strip bark from trees etc for the minerals contained therein as well as the fibre.

Maybe your goats are exhibiting a deficiency in their diets... mineral/vitamin wise... and they are trying to find it.

I don't think they are missing anything vital, they get caprivite, garlic, seaweed, carrots, apples, sugarbeet shreds, oats, dairy nuts, etc etc

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
Heaven only knows what my boys are missing from their diet then, OH was mending the door to their house, the other day and was bending over, and the boys kept nibbling his backside. I just love it when they try to nibble my fingers, they never hurt me, its so cute!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 12:38:54 am »

Ours used to nibble the bark from the timber cladding on our big shed, too. That was after they'd played their own version of 'strip the willows' of course.

Mary, I was very surprised at just how soft their mouths are. They'd often try and nibble my pocket or hand but never a proper bite.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:05:58 am »

Ours used to nibble the bark from the timber cladding on our big shed, too. That was after they'd played their own version of 'strip the willows' of course.

Mary, I was very surprised at just how soft their mouths are. They'd often try and nibble my pocket or hand but never a proper bite.
It really is quite a pleasant experience isnt it? I almost think its a sign of affection, apart from the kisses they give me of course. Quite the little charmers my boys!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:21:43 am »
They get loads of branches in the summer, maybe I get some "bare" ones now, j
that's it, mine like bare ones in winter

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS